Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.3k Members

tonsil abscess and HIV?

One of the doctors please answer this question if at all possible.  Thank you!

A few weeks ago I had a one time unprotected encounter with a female of unknown HIV status.  About two weeks later my lymph nodes swelled, had a fever, the works.  One of my tonsils also swelled up pretty bad.
I was worried it was ARS.  

Since then, the symptoms have pretty much subsided - other than the tonsil.  I am now being treated by an ENT for a peritonsillar abscess.  

I thought my HIV were over.  

Today I read this link online...
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bilateral+peritonsillar+abscess:+Case+report+and+presentation+of+its...-a076877193

Notice one small line in there:  "Finally, there are unpublished claims that bilateral peritonsillar abscess might be associated with the presence of human immunodeficiency virus human immunodeficiency virus."

Uggggggghhhhhh.  

Here we go again.  

Has anyone ever heard anything about this regarding HIV and peritonsillar abscesses?  Is it legitimate?  

When my symptoms first appeared, I had a negative strep test - one of the main causes of a peritonsillar abscess.  So now I'm worried all over again that HIV is the case of all this.
1 Responses
You'll need to post in the doctor's forum for them to respond. HIV Prevention Related Expert Forums.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.