Head & Neck Cancer Forum

malignant melanoma

My mother has a large malignant melanoma on top of her head.  We found this 3 or more years ago.  Due to her advanced age (she is now 88) and her dementia, we chose not to treat this.  Now the cancer is growing and has a lump that is raised about 1/2 inch and black.  The diameter of the cancer spot is approximately 2.5-3 inches - the raised area is about 1/3 this size.  If this raised area bothers her, should we get that part clipped off?  or will this make things worse?  She is in a home where she gets 24 hour care/medication.  She is otherwise asymptomatic except an occasional headache.  She talks and is able to communicate well - just repeats herself and has short-term memory loss.  Thanks
What does the melanoma look like? How did it start? I am asking as we are a family of people with moles or birthmarks and how do you decide if they are malignant or not without going to the doctor? My mom also is 86. Thanks
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.