Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community

Sudden Headaches

Although I will be making an appointment soon I would like to get an opinion on a problem I am having. It is in relation to headaches that come on only when I shake my head in the slightest possible way. They will go more or less straight away afterwards but they restrict any rapid movement they i may have to make They do not appear to be in any particular part of the head. This has been a problem for several months now. I am 61 years old and weigh approx 91kgs. I do not partake in any sports and have had no injury to my head which may have caused this problem. Thankyou.

There are many possibilities for this kind of headache.Firstly,pls check your posture while sitting or standing.Sometimes, it is caused by uncomfortable sleeping position which puts unnecessary stress to your neck.

Other possibilties are meningitis and cervical osteoarthritis. . In meningitis, the pain in the neck becomes worse as you try to move your chin downward.It is accompanied by fever and vomitings usually. A crunching sound while trying to move your painful neck coupled with a tingling sensation in your upper extremities can point to cervical osteoarthritis.

First of all choose comfortable and not too hard or high pillows.Also choose a mattress that is not very soft. Secondly, if you are having stiff neck headaches as you go about your job routine, consider using a cervical collar.Also do neck exercises regularly.

You also need to consult a physician and get X-Ray neck and spine done.Sometimes headache or dizziness may be a preceding symptom of TIA brain.You have to get yourself evaluated for that also.

Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.