Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community

is there any hope or is this my new normal?

This will be a bit much perhaps but here goes.  Five years ago I was in a teriible accident with some machinery.  I was in intensive care with a broken back, fractures, bleeding on my brain and a host of others stabs and jabs. I had terrible head aches,depression, inability to sleep, irritable, difficulty driving at night with rain or snow and very moody.  For a time i lived with it and hoped I would get better but became fatter and fatter.  I would have to sleep on the way home from work then when i got home would collapse in a chair and sleep till moring.  I went to an endrinologist who said i had very low testosterone and a non functioning thyroid so gave me testosterone cyponate and armour thyroid three grains? It helped me to keep going for a while but my breasts were growing and even lactating so went back and had blood work done.  He said that it appeared I had something wrong with my pituitary and told me so see a specialist as he wouldn't see me anymore.   i panicked and bought life insurance and thougth I would die,  I didn't die.  I was so moody and angry. I continued the testosterone as when I got the perscription from the first dr. every day was a vial to be thrown away after use but was enough for two weeks so had an over supply and worked out trying to out grow my boobs.  I hated my body more and more and more muscular I got.  I quit the testosterone cold turkey as I was suicidal with self hate. That was August of 2012  I went to a therapist and asked why I hated myself so much, was depressed, lonely and not myself anymore.  People who I had know for decades would stare at me as I'd cry at random events, changed my hair from a buzz to my shoulders, pierced my ears. It just seemed like it was who I was/am. The therapist diagnosed me with situational anxiety and said don't be with ppl that didn't want to be with me and protect myself from anxiety triggers and that I had gender dysphoria.   I really wasn't ready for that and saw two other therapist to see if i could get another diagnosis but all concured although I said nothing of past therapsits visits.  I went to another endo in Seattle and was given estrodial  6mg a day and levothyroxine 50 mcg.  I was not given a testostone blocker as my testosterone was very low. I have a new energy and do yoga every night, eat great and feel well physically  as well as have a weight I haven't seen sincy my teens but the rub is I still have the depression on occation, headaches, inability to sleep, Im irritable, difficulty driving at night with rain or snow and very moody.   Is there any help for  these symptoms? Did the gender dysphoria come from the accident and do i need to worry about hating my new self if I get  treatment?  I went to a neurologist and asked for a normal pill and she told me that " this is your new normal, get used to it."  Anyway my crazy tale of life and wondering if I should try another neuro person or what?   I really want to feel well in my mind as well as I feel in my body.Thanks for any help, input.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. What is clear from your post is that you have multiple endocrine gland involvement. Also generally where multiple endocrine glands are involved, it could be an autoimmune process. Hence, you may need a complete antibody panel related to these glands. One such possibility is Schmidt's syndrome: adrenal gland failure, hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism (parathyroid hormone deficiency), or gonadal failure coexist. Generally this involves a low pituitary gland function in the brain. This is the primary hypofunction or decreased function of the gland.
In secondary hypofunction, either the glands are not stimulated or are directly inhibited. This form of hypofunction is reversible and the glands begin working normally again if the stimulating hormone is supplied or if the inhibiting hormone is removed. This is generally seen in problems of pituitary gland. I am sure if you discuss this with the specialist, the doctor will run some tests or go through your existing test results and based on the results will be able to sort the problem out. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.