Health Care Reform Community
162 Members

Deductible vs Premium Tradeoffs

Intuitively, I know there is an inverse relationship between health insurance deductible and premium, i.e. the higher the deductible, the lower the premium. But I have failed to find a definitive correlation between the two. Articles I have read say that the relationship is not linear without giving a reason why and without offering a description of what it is.

Obviously, actuaries/underwriters in insurance companies have developed financial models for health plans with different deductible levels. This sort of thing cannot be a trade secret. Please share your knowledge on this.

One last question. Are deductibles in health plans come in discrete levels? If so, what are they and how were they set?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.