Health Insurance Forum

Affordable Care Act: Medicaid vs Marketplace eligibiliy

I would be accessing the Affordable Care Act health insurance options that start in January, 2014 as a resident of New York state.
My question is, if, for any reason, I earn less than the Federal poverty level income set at $11,400. for one person/ one year - am I obliged to sign up with Medicaid or am I allowed to purchase Marketplace health insurance and be
reimbursed by IRS tax refund as if I earned $11,400./year?
Are all individuals participating in ACA health insurance 2014, who earn less than $11,400./year, obliged to sign up with Medicaid?
Dear MRI123,

My understanding is that you can purchase a Qualified Health Plan on exchange regardless of whether you qualify for Medicaid or not; however you don’t qualify to receive tax credits, subsidy or premium re-imbursement on your premiums, if you qualify for Medicaid.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.