This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Health Insurance, pulminary embolism, suicidal

My mother attempted suicide by overdose a couple weeks ago.. She was submitted to a mental health devision of a hospital and while she was in there  she fainted and we found out she had pulminary embolism and a mass next to her lung.. We attempted to get a PET Scan but she/we don't have $1300.. She has no health insurance. She made a total of 9k in 2012 along with 22k inheritance but the inheritance money is gone after paying bills and personal loans through family to pull her through the time . She only made 9k that year because of her declining health situation.


-She is suicidal
-She only sleeps 2hrs max a night
-Severe depression
-Pulminary Embolism
-Mass next to lung
-Unable to  work(No current income)
-Unable to function at home

I've made over 100 phone calls in the last 2 weeks to the finacial aid department  of the hospital and they aren't really helping to much..

Health Insurance/ SSI - what to expect? How do I get this resolved? I need help.
I thought it was mandatory a suicidal person to recieve health insurance?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
282113 tn?1388163349
Dear Jmo366,

My heart goes out to your family for what you are going through; I am not aware of any regulations that mandates health insurance coverage to a suicidal person but there are provisions that may help provide coverage to her if she is deemed "disabled"!

What constitutes disability?
For Social Security disability or SSI purposes, to be considered disabled, individuals must have an impairment, either medical, psychological, or psychiatric in nature, that keeps them from being able to do substantial gainful activity (SGA, discussed below). In addition, the disabled person's impairment must have prevented the individual from doing SGA for at least 12 months, or be expected to prevent the individual from doing SGA for at least 12 months.

Substantial Gainful Activity
To be considered a disabled person for Social Security purposes, a disability applicant must be unable to perform substantial work. Generally, this means working and earning above a certain amount; currently, making over $1,040 per month. But for the self-employed (people who own businesses or do contract work), there are other tests Social Security uses to determine if someone is doing SGA.

You will have to discuss this with her providers (the doctors & the facility who has been providing care for her recently). They should be able to help with this process.

Once she is deemed disabled, you will have to apply for Medicaid; Medicaid is a jointly funded, Federal-State health insurance program for low-income and needy people. It covers children, the aged, blind, and/or disabled and other people who are eligible to receive federally assisted income maintenance payments.

To qualify for Medicaid a recipient must:

•Have been eligible for an SSI cash payment for at least one month;
•Still be disabled;
•Still meet all other eligibility rules, including the resources test;
•Need Medicaid in order to work; and
•Have gross earned income that is insufficient to replace SSI, Medicaid, and any publicly funded attendant care. (Refer to Red Book for the "threshold amount" section.)
The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly HCFA) oversees State administration of Medicaid. You may go to that web site at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov.

I was unable to tell where you live from your profile but thirty-two states and the District of Columbia provide Medicaid eligibility to people eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI ) benefits. In these States, the SSI application is also the Medicaid application. Medicaid eligibility starts the same months as SSI eligibility.

The following jurisdictions use the same rules to decide eligibility for Medicaid as SSA uses for SSI, but require the filing of a separate application: Alaska, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Northern Mariana Islands

The following States use their own eligibility rules for Medicaid, which are different from SSA`s SSI rules. In these States a separate application for Medicaid must be filed: Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Virginia.

I hope this helps you find the needed coverage for your mother.


Amir Mostafaie
Discussion is closed