A
A
A
Close
Healthy Cooking Community
1.25k Members
193137 tn?1367883663

Ahi Tuna Salad

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. It's fast and pretty healthy, perfect for a weeknight. I add pre-washed salad to this to make this a more complete meal. This is what we'll be eating tonight.

Ahi Tuna Salad

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10
CookTime: 2
Yield: 4 servings
User Rating 5 Stars

2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling
2 limes, zest grated
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
10 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, medium diced
1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
1/4 cup red onion, small diced

Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.

Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.
27 Responses
172023 tn?1334675884
*fires up the printer feverishly*

I just have to get the wasabi powder.  

389974 tn?1331018842
You can always substitute horseradish for it -- in fact, truth be known, most of the stuff called wasabi isn't wasabi at all but horseradish.
172023 tn?1334675884
Oooh!  I may have some horseradish around.  
483733 tn?1326802046
This sounds great!  I love seared Ahi tuna when I go out to restaurants but haven't tried buying it and making myself.  I have wasabi paste.  What would you adjust in the recipe if I were to use the paste?
Mmmmm......this sounds good!

I LOVE wasabi.

Swampy......what do they do, just color the horseradish green?
389974 tn?1331018842
Swampy will check his book for the lowdown on wasabi paste and post it here.
389974 tn?1331018842
From "The Zen of Fish":

"Most commercial wasabi served in sushi bars isn't wasabi at all. It's a mix of horseradish powder, mustard powder, mustard extract, citric acid, yellow dye no. 5, and blue dye no. 1. Real wasabi is a rare and finicky plant. It's hard to grow, nearly impossible to keep fresh, tricky to prepare, and absurdly expensive."

The book goes on to describe how true wasabi is grown and prepared, but it is a long explanation.
Thanks, Swampy.

I found that to be very interesting!
193137 tn?1367883663
I've never tried this recipe with wasabi paste. I think you could probably throw that in and then adjust the lime juice. Is wasabi paste stronger/spicier than the powder? I usually can't handle wasabi at sushi restaurants, but the powder I like. Maybe someone else can help us out on this one...I'm a wasabi beginner!
I'm making the recipe tonight with the paste.

I don't think it would make too much difference using the paste instead of the powder. I personally have never used the powder.
172023 tn?1334675884
Now you're going to be in for it, Sabrina!  2 of us are making it tonight!

I just got back....I had to go to 4 places to find ahi tuna.  You'd think living this d@mn close to the ocean, we'd have more seafood markets, but there is only one.
193137 tn?1367883663
Oh boy...I may be responsible for a lot of bad dinners tonight! Just kidding. I hope you all enjoy it.

Is there no Whole Foods/Whole Paycheck around you? That's where I get mine from. Expensive, but they always have it available.

Let me know how it turns out.
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.