Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
428506 tn?1296557399

Black Bean and Corn Salad

This is my first recipe post, so bear with me!  This is super easy, and I think it is pretty.

I love beans and corn, but a lot of Mexican style dishes tempt me to use cheese and sour cream, which I am currently trying to using only sparingly.  The below has a great fresh taste that needs no creamy topping.  I approximate my measures and offer simple substitutions.  The recipe was described to me, in about as much detail as I offer here, by a vegan friend who was trying to give me cheese-free recipe tips.

This is a lunch staple for me, all by itself.  I also will put it on top of a bed of greens, or even use it in a wrap (if I skimp on the vinegar so that it's more dry).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed well under cold water.
1 cup frozen corn
3-4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
1 med onion or 1/2 a large one, finely chopped
1/2 of a bunch of fresh chopped cilantro
1squirt lime juice
1 to 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm least sure on the amount of vinegar, as I eyeball it, so maybe start small and then adjust to taste.

Place all into a large bowl and toss lightly!  Store and serve cold.  If the beans are from your pantry, then the frozen corn will thaw quickly and make the salad cold and good to eat almost instantly!  

Substitutions:

Swap other types of tomatoes or salsa for plum tomatoes.  If you use salsa, mix a tiny bit with the vinegar separately first to make sure the flavors mix in a way you like.  I would not suggest canned tomatoes.

I've used red, white, or yellow onion, depending on what I have.  I've even added a bit of radish when I had only a small amount of onion on hand!  Red onion is the prettiest.

Adjust all amounts to taste.  I sometimes use more or less corn depending on my supply, and sometimes use extra cilantro, the ingredient that I think ties the salad together.  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
101028 tn?1419603004
I've made something very similar to this too before and thought it was just yummy!!!  I just think things like this so scream summer food :)

grace
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
There are many great variations to this salad. You could, instead of frozen corn, buy a can of hominy. Sauté the black beans and the hominy (rinsed) in olive oil and garlic, let cool, add the other ingredients as specified in recipe...wooo!!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.