A
A
A
Close
Healthy Cooking Community
1.25k Members
535822 tn?1443980380

Christmas dinner

I am almost vegitarian now but still eating poultry , any good ideas for a recipe thats different than roasting it ?
5 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Okay, here is a fancy Christmas Chicken Recipe:

Festive Chicken

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 oz. fresh baby spinach, chopped
8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (or the dry ones adding the water)
2 tbsp. fresh basil, sliced
8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 purple onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Slice each chicken breast partway in half with a very sharp knife. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Open chicken breast (sort of like a book) and flatten slightly with a mallet. Meat should be about 1/2 an inch thick.

3. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper to taste.

4. In large frying pan, heat olive oil. Add onion, pepper, and garlic. Saute three to five minutes, then add the mushrooms and sauté until veggies are tender.

5. Stir in chopped spinach and basil. Cover until spinach wilts.

6. Remove from heat. Stir in the feta. Add salt and pepper (to taste).

7. Place one-sixth of cheese mixture on each chicken breast. Neatly roll the breast into a tube. Secure with toothpicks or string (string is generally more secure). Bake (don't allow them to touch) in a greased casserole dish for 20-25 minutes. Slice before serving.

It looks really pretty when sliced and arranged on a plate.  

535822 tn?1443980380
now that sounds good, I really like feta and spinach and I have the chicken breasts in the freezer ..
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
I added a chopped red pepper to this and some finely chopped carrot too.  

And I made a simple sauce with chicken broth, white wine or cooking sherry --  chicken broth in pan, 3/4 more than sherry/wine and add flour and whisk.  Then heat to boiling, turn down and let it reduce.  Husband likes the sauce with it.  

Hope it turns out good for you!

Merry Christmas!!
535822 tn?1443980380
Hope you guys had a great Christmas day, I still miss having kids around but my family in UK shared their Christmas with me curtesy of pics and internet.its getting colder here and we have been told may dive into the 40s here in CA Brrrr...Food was okay yesterday in the end we had the Ham ..I loved the chocolate cheesecake for desert..
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
We had a good day----  yes, the hustle and bustle of kids makes it lively.  Right this minute, I feel like I just ran a marathon.  I have a birthday for one of the kids tomorrow to get through and then on Monday, I'm going to crash!!  :>)  But it was good and glad that you enjoyed family in whatever way available.  

I had the chicken AND ham as my kids love ham.  Chocolate cheesecake sounds good.  I had a chocolate mint dessert---  crushed chocolate cookies, mint ice cream and hot fudge over it.  Not healthy . . .   but delicious.  

It was in the 50's here in the Midwest today . . .  warmer than California!  You all aren't probably used to the colder temperatures.

Anyway, happy holidays . . .  soon to be a new year!  
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.