Classic Beef Pot Roast

This was delicious and very easy.  It could just as easily be done in a slow cooker and I would highly recommend that as the meat will be even more tender.  It is from MyRecipes.

1 tsp. olive oil
1 (3 lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed (I used a blade roast, a cross-rib roast or shoulder roast could work too)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion\
1 cup dry red wine
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can fat free, less sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.  Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.  Add roast to pan and cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.  Remove roast from pan.  Add onion to pan and saute 8 minutes or until tender.

Returned browned roast to pan.  Add the red wine (if using slow cooker add the wine to pan without the roast in it and scrape up all the bits and then put what is in the pan plus the roast and remainder into the slow cooker), thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover pan and bake at 350 F for 1.5 hours or until the roast is almost tender.

Add carrots and potatoes to pan.  Cover and bank an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.  Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan and discard.  Shred meat with 2 forks (I just sliced).  Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid (I added a slurry of cornstarch at the end to thicken).  

10 servings (serving size is 3 ounces roast, about 3/4 cup vegetables and about 3 tbsp. cooking liquid)

Calories 307, fat 10.4 g, sat fat 3.5 g, carbs 23.7 g, protein 28.6 g
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I dearly miss pot roast.  
Helpful - 0
sounds great, and I love thyme. I agree about the shoulder roast. It was my only option one day and I found it to be sooo much less greasy. I would say it took a bit longer to cook, but the end result/taste was the same.
Thanks!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community