College Student Low Budget Healthy Recipes?

I just started college and it costs more time and money to make a nice healthy meal than to just pick up fast food. Well I'm trying to escape the freshmen 10 and not gain weight. Does anyone know any cheap but healthy meals/desserts/snacks/smoothies, ANYTHING CHEAP TO MAKE.

Thanks.

Kayla Martin
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Healthy smoothies are an easy breakfast and cheap.  It takes frozen fruits (I used strawberries and blueberries) a whole fresh banana for thickness milk and a tablespoon or so of sugar.  Blend it all up and walaa!  Use frozen fruits tho (except the banana) - it does the same as fresh fruits and ice cream only cheaper and healthier!
Helpful - 0
You should try somtam. Its a thai cuisine.  Its full of flavour. Just cut all the protein n only use glass noodle and tomato. It delish...I lost 1 kilo in a week just by eating that. N you wont starve at all.
Helpful - 0
Wraps! Thry have less calories than bread and you can add pretty much anything! And it is a nice excuse to eat cheese. So. First take an avocado (ripe) and with a fork make some guacamole! Add a bit of lemom juice, salt and presto! I like to add some salat or squash and cheese. Mjam! Close the wrap and put it in the microwave, the cheese will melt. I know how hard it is to eat healthy as an student... it is not only the money, but also the time!
Helpful - 0
try eating baked potatoes (sweet or russett) once or twice a week.really easy to make .... wash the potato puncture a couple of holes in it, take a wet paper towel and wrap it around the potato, and cook it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes depending on the power of your microwave.  I don't overload my potato but I do like to eat it with stuff on it so soft margarine with salt and pepper as well as some cut onions that I have usually cut up in the refrigerator and some low fat shreded cheese.  sometimes I also have some plain yogurt and use as if its a dollop of sour cream.  if you cut up zucchini and bell peppers you can also use the same low fat cheese and plain yogurt and make quesadillas. the most expensive thing may be on that list is going to be the tortillas and shredded cheese. Another budget cheat: Plain yogurt can be bought in bigger containers that's really cheap and when you buy a bag of frozen berries you can use both for either a yogurt idea in the morning or mixing bowls with some orange juice and making a smoothie for yourself too.  good luck to you I really wish I would have thought about this during my freshman year...it took a boyfriend break up and all of my mid to late twenties to lose the weight
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much vegetable soup is a great idea!
Helpful - 0
Dear Kayla, when I was in University, I made a big pot of vegetable soup. Just go to the produce section & get carrots,onions,celery,garlic,bell peppers, & anything else you like. Smart n Final or any restaurant supply has a high quality chicken,vegetable,or beef bouillon in a glass jar that's very potent & low sodium. Make a huge pot & put meal size portions in freezer.
   Each week make a different recipe.  For smoothies,do the same. Mix in your blender fresh fruit( peaches ) and put in freezer. Day you use,mix with carton of yogurt.    Keep a ready supply if fresh vegetables. Have a salad each day. Pamela.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community