Aa
A
A
A
Close
389974 tn?1331015242

Falafel

How to make fantastic falafel

Falafel are not difficult but they require timing.

This is a deep fried recipe. Normally, that would not qualify as healthy but Swampy has measured the amount of oil that is absorbed and believes that as long as they are well drained, the calories from fat will not be too high. It is possible to bake falafel, but getting the texture right requires some skill.

You'll need a food processor, hopefully a large one.

Follow these preparation steps exactly.
------------------------------------------

To serve 4-6 people (more if being used an an appetizer):

1/2 lb dried chick peas (NOT canned)
1 c coarsely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c fresh parsley, washed and roughly chopped
1 t dried mint
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t cayenne pepper (if you want a kick)
oil for deep frying

----

Step 1. Soak chick peas. You must let them soak a minimum of 24 hours.

Step 2. Drain the chick peas, spread them on a cookie sheet. Leave cookie sheet out in a sunny place.

Step 3. Prep your other ingredients -- chop the onions, peel garlic, wash parsley.

Step 4. Get out your food processor. Add all ingredients except (obviously) the oil.

Step 5. Process the ingredients until they form a sticky paste  -- 7 to 8 minutes. Scrape down the sides to make certain there are no lumps of any kind. Whatever you do, do not add water -- if the mixture can't process pull some of it out and do loads.

Step 6. Let the dough rest 30 minutes.

Step 7. Heat the oil up to the temp at which bread sizzles. Drop fritter style 1 t at a time. Cook until brown and crunchy on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Serve within 45 minutes of being made, otherwise they'll lose their crunch.

You can store the dough in the refrigerator for a few days.

(A note on baking. This requires skill to get the texture right. What you would do is brown them in a pan with a little oil, then put them in 400 degree oven until they are done. Make them with a flattened shape if you do this for the best chance of them being cooked).
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
535822 tn?1443976780
I have never made falafel is it a mid eastern dish ,pretty healthy I think , maybe I'll take a shot this weekend ,
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Thank you so much for this, Swampy!  I have tried making falafels with another recipe but when I put them in the deep fryer they disintegrated.  I will give yours a try.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.