A
A
Close
483733 tn?1326798446

Fettuccine With Brussels Sprouts

This was dinner tonight.

Ingredients:

3/4 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed
1/2 lb. dried fettuccine (could use whole wheat)
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Instructions:

Slice brussels sprounts ina  food processor fitted with slicing disk.

Cook fettuccine in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente.

Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides.  Then saute onions and garlic until soft - 2 minutes.  Add pine nutes, stirring until golden - 1 - 2 minutes.  Add brussels sprouts and salt & pepper, then saute over medium-high heat until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.

Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.  Then drain pasta and add to skillet, tossing with enough reserved water to moisten.

Optional:  Add some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.

Makes 4 servings

Calories 383, fat 18.4 g, carbs 42.8 g, fiber 8.8 g, protein 12.4 g

Variation:  Could add leftoever chicken breast cubed or shrimp if want to make n on-vegetarian.  In this case a 1/4 cup of chicken stock might be required near the end of sauteing.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Mmmm....this would be perfect with whole wheat pasta. I love brussels sprouts
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Swampcritters love this. It makes them all warm and fuzzy inside.
Helpful - 0
Swampcritter probably is fuzzy inside, naturally.
Helpful - 0
172023 tn?1334672284
Would you believe I haven't had brussel sprouts in probably 40 years?  My mother used to boil them until they were green blobs of mush, and demanded we eat them.  

I might have to give them a try.  
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Sliced thin like this you won't even know they are brussels sprouts!
Helpful - 0
428506 tn?1296557399
I'm with Peek--I grew up thinking brussel's were torture, not food.  My mother either burned or mushified everything she touched!  But as I continue to try and broaden my horizons, I'll keep this recipe in mind.  It does sound satisfying, and brussels do hold economic appeal!

Helpful - 0
270405 tn?1293035621
brussel sprouts are yummy!  I usually slice them thin when I make them.  I make them a lot actually.  I saute them in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and balsalmic vinager.  My favorite!  I will have to try this recipe.
Helpful - 0
I eat brussels sprouts as a snack!

I roast them with garlic and evoo at 400* for a bout 20 minutes or so and sprinkle with Newman's Lite balsamic vinaigrette.
Helpful - 0
550057 tn?1288453082
Trudie, keep this recipe for Fettuccine With Brussels Sprouts on hand for next time I visit Ontario.  Nobody here will eat Brussel Sprouts and it sounds right up my alley!!
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Will do!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.