Healthier Risotto

I am a huge lover of risotto but was shocked at the calories and fat in my usualy recipe.  I found this one on *********** and it tastes as good as my original.

Ingredients:

1 cup arborio rice
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 of medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:

Heat stock and keep warm.  In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp. of the butter over medium heat for about three minutes.

Add rice and salt & pepper.  Stir constantly for 1 or 2 minutes without browning.  Using a ladle, pour hot stock one ladel at a time, stirring constantly.  Wait until all liquid is absorbed before adding next ladle.  

Remove from heat.  Sitr in parmesan cheese and the remaining 1 tbsp. butter.  Serve immediately.

Number of servings - 4

Calories 291.8
Fat 10.6 g
Cars 38.7 g
Protein 12.4 g
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! Come over and cook for me... pwease?!
Helpful - 0
Don't tempt me!  I've often thought it would be fun to start a career as a personal cook for families.  Find out what they like and cook up stuff at home that you deliver to their houses.  But you are too far, my dear.
Helpful - 0
This looks much like a "normal" risotto recipe...where do the calories come from in your usual recipe?
Helpful - 0
Swampy, thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I goofed.  When I ran the calories for my usual I must have put in 1 cup olive oil instead of 1 tbsp.  My usual recipe is not as bad.  It is essentially the same but with 1 tbsp. olive oil added.    I went back to the recipe that I posted here and they goofed on the write up.  In the ingredients they say 1/4 cup grated parmesan but in the method mention 1/8.  I made mine with 1/4.  So, the calories, etc. are lower in the one posted here by the elimination of 1/8 cup parmesan and 1 tbsp. olive oil.  Sorry for the mix up folks!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community