Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
483733 tn?1326798446

Healthier Risotto

I am a huge lover of risotto but was shocked at the calories and fat in my usualy recipe.  I found this one on *********** and it tastes as good as my original.

Ingredients:

1 cup arborio rice
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 of medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:

Heat stock and keep warm.  In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp. of the butter over medium heat for about three minutes.

Add rice and salt & pepper.  Stir constantly for 1 or 2 minutes without browning.  Using a ladle, pour hot stock one ladel at a time, stirring constantly.  Wait until all liquid is absorbed before adding next ladle.  

Remove from heat.  Sitr in parmesan cheese and the remaining 1 tbsp. butter.  Serve immediately.

Number of servings - 4

Calories 291.8
Fat 10.6 g
Cars 38.7 g
Protein 12.4 g
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! Come over and cook for me... pwease?!
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Don't tempt me!  I've often thought it would be fun to start a career as a personal cook for families.  Find out what they like and cook up stuff at home that you deliver to their houses.  But you are too far, my dear.
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
This looks much like a "normal" risotto recipe...where do the calories come from in your usual recipe?
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Swampy, thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I goofed.  When I ran the calories for my usual I must have put in 1 cup olive oil instead of 1 tbsp.  My usual recipe is not as bad.  It is essentially the same but with 1 tbsp. olive oil added.    I went back to the recipe that I posted here and they goofed on the write up.  In the ingredients they say 1/4 cup grated parmesan but in the method mention 1/8.  I made mine with 1/4.  So, the calories, etc. are lower in the one posted here by the elimination of 1/8 cup parmesan and 1 tbsp. olive oil.  Sorry for the mix up folks!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.