A
A
A
Close
Healthy Cooking Community
1.25k Members
973741 tn?1342346373

Healthy Fall Soup Recipes

It's Fall.  Even if it is hot where you live still . . . fall is still a fun time of year to think about, right?  ha.  So, any Fall or just GOOD and healthy soup ideas to share?
5 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Adding pumpkin to a black bean soup recipe is a favorite of mine.
1 Comments
Do you have a recipe for your black bean soup with pumpkin?  My husband doesn't eat soups, but I love them.  
649848 tn?1534637300
I think my all time favorite is vegetable beef soup; you can't really go wrong with it and most people seem to like it.  You can add almost any type of vegetables your family prefers.  It's one of the few soups my husband will eat (I have to put in lots of potatoes because those are his favorite... lol).

I just brown stew meat, then simmer it with broth (often homemade), tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes.  You can also add corn, green beans or a variety of other vegetables or legumes if desired.  I don't because my husband won't eat them; I used to add a little pearled barley or macaroni, but since I'm mostly gluten-free, I don't always do that anymore.
4 Comments
Yeah, I know the potatoes aren't that healthy, but I eat mostly the carrots and celery...  :-)
A few potatoes never hurt anyone.  I do love a good pot of vegi soup.  I use a lot of cabbage in mine which . . . um . . . definitely cleans you out.  :>)
I have a pot of veggie soup on the stove right now and I agree that a few potatoes aren't going to really do a lot of damage.  I don't eat that many of them...

I'd love to put cabbage in mine; I could use the...um... clean out (lol) but the hubster wouldn't eat it if I did.
Luckily I turned my husband into a cabbage eater.  He hated it when we got married but has come around.  lol It helps that he doesn't cook so has to eat what I prepare . . .

The pumpkin does not give a noticeable flavor other than a richer savory flavor if that makes sense.  With all the health benefits of pumpkin that I've been reading . . . seems win win.
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, I have a recipe:

pumpkin bean soup

chop an onion
chop a carrot
chop a bell pepper
1 t olive oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, (I use the jarred minced garlic and scoop out a couple spoonfuls)
1 jalapeno minced (optional)
2 t soy sauce
2 1/2 t chili powder
1 t oregano
1 t cumin
1 can low salt diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c pureed pumpkin (buy it from a can, I use that)
2 c vegetable broth or water
3 c cooked beans (I use canned low sodium black beans)
1 T lime juice
Garnish w low fat sour cream, cilantro, avocado, fresh diced tomato, etc.

Cook onion, carrot and bell pepper in olive oil about 5 min just until it is about to brown and is soft.  Add jalapeno, garlic and soy sauce. Add spices. cook for 30 seconds to a minute, add everything else except lime juice. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or however long to mingle flavors.  then turn down heat and stir in lime juice.  Put in bowls and garnish.  :>))
649848 tn?1534637300
That sounds really good; I thought maybe the pumpkin would make it sort sweet, but the spices probably counter that, don't they?  

I'm going to have to try it.  Thank you...
20857205 tn?1543312915
I think it will have to be tomato soup with bread pieces for me!!! It's the yummiest kind of soup. Thanks guys for the rest of the recipes ! I will surely try it out in my kitchen and I hope I make the way you all suggested. I am not really that good of a cook. This healthy food thread is amazing
1 Comments
That's what I love about soup!  You don't have to be a good cook to make a good pot of soup.  Do you make a home made tomato soup?  (don't feel bad if you don't! I'm just asking).  But I do like tomato soup too!!
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.