Healthy food---FAST!

Courtesy of Calorie King:

Healthy Food - Fast!

Often people buy a fast-food meal because they want to eat "right now!" But a better response to urgent food demands is to have a few super-fast, and cheap-but-healthy meals on hand that you can resort to when you're short on time.

These four low-cal healthy meal ideas can each be prepared in less than the time it takes to get in your car and drive to the nearest fast-food place - and they taste better too!

* Swift Fish: Fish only takes a few minutes to cook. You can jazz it up by sprinkling with herbs or spices before broiling or barbecuing. While the fish is cooking, prepare a crunchy salad to go with it.

* Veggielicious Pasta: Put a pot of pasta on to boil. When it has about three or four minutes remaining to cook, throw some broccoli florets, sliced red bell pepper and frozen peas into the same pasta pot. When everything is cooked, drain the whole pot and divide into serving bowls. Top each serving with canned tuna and a sprinkling of low-fat grated cheese.

* Fruity Chicken Salad: Put together a salad from your favorite vegetables. Top with skinless shredded chicken and pieces of your favorite in-season fruit, such as orange segments, mango slices, crisp apple pieces, or grapes. Sprinkle with a few chopped nuts and drizzle with a little fat-free dressing.

* Delicioso Pasta:  Cook pasta. Meanwhile saute a chopped onion and crushed garlic. Add canned tomatoes, drained canned red kidney beans, a few sliced black olives and a little chopped chili or bell pepper. When the sauce has reduced and thickened a little, stir in some shredded fresh basil. Top pasta with sauce, and sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This is a quick one:
Bacon and vegetable Cous-cous
Cook broccoli florets, small-cut, in about 1/4 pint of water with stock cube added.Cook for about 3 minutes. Add a small can of drained sweetcorn, then black pepper. Heat for 2-3 minutes, then add cous-cous, and stir for a couple of minutes till it starts to thicken. Take off the heat, cover with a lid, and stand.
Cut back bacon into thin slivers (you'll need a sharp knife for this or it gets boring!) Fry until turning brown (takes about 5 minutes) Add the bacon to the pot of cous-cous, stir, and serve.
(You can vary the ingredients, ie use mange tout peas or something instead, and can also vary the quantities, depending on how many mouths to feed!)
Helpful - 0
Yum, I love fruit in my salad, especially with chicken!
Helpful - 0
I'm not a big fan of fruit in my salad, either.
Helpful - 0
Most of those sound yummy!   I'm not too sure about the fruity chicken salad though.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community