Hey all Im a new vegetarian

I am 6 weeks into being meatless, I eat cheese and other dairy still..get my protein from a variety of legumes and cheese, now find that fruit satifies my sweet tooth..eat all brown grains such as rice, noodles and bread..am open to any suggestions how many of you are veggies? btw  I have lost a dress size and about 10 lbs in 6 weeks and I feel so much healthier.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
how much have you lost now cherie ,what food do you eat most, salads?
Helpful - 0
I have made some of those wonderful and healthy bean soups without any 'problems' ,you buy them in a bag, herbs and all...
Helpful - 0
I eat beans all the time so I really don't get extra gas from them.  I do always have beano and gas ex around the house though for times when I am gassy.  In my house we aren't very 'delicate' so we aren't afraid to make sure the whole house knows we have gas....he he he  I tend to get more gas when I eat meat than when I eat beans. Now corn on the other hand...

I don't replace my cooking water when I'm cooking my beans.  The beans I've been using have way too much flavor in them to waste it!!  When I use canned beans, I don't precook them before using them.

grace
Helpful - 0
Even canned beans I have never made dried ones I guess they are tastier?
Helpful - 0
Another way to control gas from beans is to replace the water about 3/4 of the way through the cooking process.
Helpful - 0
Well I will control it anyway as I like beans and am eager to try beanie recipes!They are full of protein they say and for vegetarians and nearly vegetarians  thats a good thing.I know I have some books in my own stock somewhere of beans and bean recipes.
Helpful - 0
My problem is that I feel things like beans much more and much quicker than other people without a large colon.  If I can tolerate them then it is possible for you too.
Helpful - 0
Thats good to know as it can be a problem if one consumes too many, I adore kidney beans with salad, and garbanzo's Is it to do with having a large colon I didnt know that ,how do you measure it??
Helpful - 0
Oh, and GasX or Ovol help with the gas issues too.
Helpful - 0
I don't have a large colon so a lot of fiber can cause big issues for me.  I managed to get into beans by using beano drops and gradually increasing the amount I eat.  You do get used to it.
Helpful - 0
If you are a bean gal Grace how do you cope with any 'stomach issues' I am being polite, I can eat some beans but not too many ,does your gut simply get used to them I do love them a lot I pop them into salads all the time.
Helpful - 0
If you love black beans - order up some of the Negro Criollo de Hidalgo beans from rancho gordo!! They are just about the best black beans I've ever cooked and eaten!! The broth they make is delicious even without adding anything else to them!!  I  also am having fun with their cookbook - lots of meatless recipes in there ( or ones you can easily substitute to make meatless ).  I'm just a beans gal!  I even ordered purple beans from them just because they looked pretty....he he he

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/chili/festive-black-bean-chili  this is my fav vegetarian chili recipe. It freezes really well so you can make a batch of it for the whole family and then freeze leftovers for yourself.  We top it with cheese and sour cream of course :)  IT's even good to throw on salad to make your own meatless taco salads at home.

There's a mexican lasagna recipe in the vegetarian times cookbook that my family loves too. It also freezes well to put leftovers in containers and freeze for yourself later on.

grace

Helpful - 0
thanks....I am eating a lot of brown rice with tomatoes beans and rosemary getting tired of that but its good...your right there are many knds of beans I love black beans....will look on line for recipies..thanks...the rest of my family still eats meat but I swear I feel so much more energy and healthier plus am losing weight so its win.win.!!
Helpful - 0
I've been a bad vegetarian for 1 1/2 years now....lol.  I still eat meat out but I rarely serve it in my house ( convincing my friends to bring food to work that doesn't contain meat doesn't work unfortunately and I can't sit there watching them eat meatloaf and say no!  ).  I don't eat tofu since I am not vegan ( and I don't like it )  and still eat dairy and eggs. I also LOVE beans so I get more than enough protein, calcium and such from them.  Sometimes I just HAVE to have a hot dog on the grill or some sausage with my black beans or something but for the most part I don't eat meat in my house.  If you scroll back thru the prior posts here - anytime you see my icon it's most likely a meatless recipe.  swampcritter is also a vegetarian so any recipes posted by him are meatless too.  

I highly recommend the vegetarian times cookbook - the 1995 one is my favorite and you can buy it for a couple of bucks used on amazon.  What I like most about it is that the majority of the recipes are "normal" if that makes sense. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so I can't always find some of the ingredients that are often used in vegetarian recipes in my grocery stores around here and so far I've been able to find everything in that cookbook. I also subscribe to the vegetarian times magazine but I'm a picky eater so I don't often find anything in there that I'm willing to try.  

grace

Helpful - 0
Hi Cherie,

I've been a vegetarian my entire life. I did go vegan for 12 years but reverted back about 9 years ago.There is a huge amount of recipes out now, not like in the old days when you were lucky to find anything or served up carrots and peas because thats all people thought you ate!! My personal best was when they would plonk an egg on top not realising vegetarians dont eat eggs...lol

If you google "vegetarian meals" you will find a heap of sites offering some great options. I'm not sure if you can get them where you are but, "Family Circle and Womens Weekly" have approx 30 recipe books in each that cover vegetarian and vegan meals.They are smaller books, about half the size of a regular magazine and are cheap, $4.50 each and have approx 30 - 35 recipes in each book. I'm sure you will get lots of ideas from them.

Enjoy....Janet
Helpful - 0
thank you been interested in tofu need to read up on how to prepare it...and I will look for that book april...Margy I seen a few interesting veggies recipies on here gonna try the parmesan potatoe wedges may use aa sweet potatoe...love them
Helpful - 0
My teenage daughter went a couple of years being a vegetarian. I think she saw a show on slaughter houses or something and it turned her off. She decided she didn't want to eat animals. It did make things challenging for awhile there but I learned some new recipes using the soy crumbles or the firm soy in stir fry's, etc. They have a lot of good vegetarian things out there now to choose from. I came close to it but still like to eat fish and chicken. We've cut back on the red meat, though. I make spaghetti a lot of times with no meat, just marinara sauce.
10 pounds, that's great! If you're looking for some other vegetarian ideas try the Dr. McDougal program or book. He's got some good and tasty recipes in there. Best wishes to you!
Helpful - 0
Hi Cherie I am an almost one, but I still cook red meat if I have guests I dont eat it myself ,I eat chicken and turkey and fish,some dishes I find a bit bland like my disastrous meatloaf I posted here about and got some good recipes from others on the forum,I would be interested in any posts about veg dishes .
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community