Ideas on healthy dips

I am having folks coming for thanksgiving and I wanted to have some good yet healthy dips out, I have tried a spinach dip this last week which was okay but needed a kick, I used low fat sour cream and a packet of the dip powder..what else can I add to it and has anyone any other good recipes I can serve with veggies for appetisers ?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Cauliflower hummus is really very nice. Hummus can be pretty fatty, but it feels light so you eat a ton of oil and crap before realizing how many calories you had. If you take cooked cauliflower, put it into a food processor or blender, it will give a similar texture as hummus. (This coming from someone who hates cauliflower with a passion.) If you add just a little bit of chick peas, lots of coriander and garlic no one will ever know! I also really enjoy roasted capsicum (red peppers), chillies, and/or eggplant in hummus.

Chutneys and fruit sauces (like apple butter on crackers) might also be nice. Some of them can be higher in oil and sugar, so you need to look if you use canned ones, but it could be an alternative to a more "traditional" dip.

Beware of some of those packages. Sometimes they have a lot of stuff in them and even if you use a lower fat base they can be pretty bad still. If it was very weak, and you're going for a ranch like flavor try adding dill and onion powder. Wish I could be more help there, but I'm completely dairy free.

Helpful - 0
Thank you so much some great ideas there , I have become a better label reader recently and I know that a lot of manufacturers do not put all on their labels .Cauilflower hummus sounds wonderful I have been eating a lot of cauliflower this year as it has been plentiful and cheap ..and I love Hummus ..its this msg thing that gets me I really dont know what it is ....
Helpful - 0
No problem! I mainly mentioned the labels because I've had to go to a low cholesterol (no egg, diary, red meat) diet and wow some of the so called "healthy foods" have sickening amounts of calories and fats. I recently found a non dairy block of dark chocolate with 25g of fat per serve!

I've become a pretty big fan of the Sneaky Chief cookbook over the years. I put pumpkin in my spaghetti sauce (instead of brown sugar or flour), and purred fruit in all my baking. I love it!

Mono sodium glutamate- it's basically used as a substitute or for a different flavor instead of salt. Glutamic acid is a type of amino acid used in the human body and found naturally in a lot of other things. For MSG they add on a sodium group to it, make it more basic. In theory it's not harmful and the body has no problem breaking it down, but I don't entirely trust it either. I also know of some people who reject it and or are actually allergic to MSG. I know it can upset people with kidney problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn's Disease, etc. And with my high blood pressure and family heart disease, I avoid it and adding salt to anything.
Helpful - 0
I am a bit of a user when it comes to spicy and salty stuff...I have been a big used of Soy sauce which I came to realise wasnt too good for me .they do put the MSG on the labels and there is a big push here to have GMO's put on labels ..
Helpful - 0
Yeah fortunately and unfortunately because I have to maintain a very strict diet (no eggs, dairy, red meats, or anything more than 1tsp oil/serve) I make all my own sauces, breads, noddles, etc. So for the most part I don't have to worry about MSG or GMO. It can be hard but sometimes it's really worth it. (I seriously just made a homemade peppermint chocolate syrup. Still has tons of sugar but no lactose or oil and it's so good :D )
Helpful - 0
goodness that takes discipline ..how do the noddles turn out..I like them a lot the chinese version better than spaghetti in my opinion have never made any ..how do you have treats' as you have to be so careful what you eat  
Helpful - 0
I do use more rice noodles over egg noodles and I rarely ever have noodles. If I make any here I usually use egg whites and a little bit of soy milk. They come out ok. I don't have a noodle maker so I think that really effected it- the ravioli I made was a little too thick. I have also found that 1/5ths of an egg yolk won't make me sick, but any more will.  As far at treats go I opt for soy, egg substitutes/egg whites, and use applesauce in my baking. When all else fails I look for vegan recipes. It really *****, but I might be ok once I get my gallbladder out. If not well at least my cholesterol is lowering? It's a pretty thin line but if I stray I get pretty sick so I really do my best.
Helpful - 0
                                       Artichoke Dip
Servings = 10 | Serving size =about 1/4 cup
Cooking Time = 15 Minutes
This recipe can be multiplied by 2, 3.
This recipe can be divisible by 2.
This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
2 15 ounce can artichoke hearts (packed in water)
1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
2 ounces mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Drain the artichoke hearts and place in a food processor. Process for about 5 seconds.
Add the mayonnaise, mozzarella, tarragon and pepper. Process until almost smooth.
When ready to serve place the dip in a glass dish. Put the dish in the microwave and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring well.
                                Nutrition Facts
Serving size = about 1/4 cup
Servings = 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 37 Calories from Fat 13
   Total Fat 1g
    Saturated Fat 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 4mg
Sodium 154mg
Total Carbohydrates 4g
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 1g
Protein 3g
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium   Iron
Vitamin K 14 mcg Potassium 98 mg
Magnesium 12 mg

Helpful - 0
ahahah gymdandee to the rescue......hey Ducky i thought low fat was okay with gall bladder problems ..
Helpful - 0
Low fat is, but high cholesterol isn't. I can eat 97% fat free ham and feel physically ill within the hour. Eggs also contain A TON of cholesterol - I think around 200 mg. So honestly I'm really on a low cholesterol diet.
Helpful - 0
oh I like eggy's    you obviously have be on non fat diets ..must be hard to get recipes..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community