A
A
A
Close
Healthy Cooking Community
1.25k Members
483733 tn?1326802046

Italian Chicken Soup

I have been enjoying this soup all week for lunch.  It came from Chatelaine Magazine.  Makes 12 cups.

Ingredients:

2 900 ml cartons chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning (or 1/2 tsp. each dried oregano leaves, thyme and basil)
2 cups bite size pasta
1 egg
1 stp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 lb. ground chicken, turkey or beef (I used turkey)
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
Optional:  recipe says you can add peppers.  I chopped a small onion and added it to the broth.

Directions:

Pour broth in a large saucepan and set over high heat.  Add Italian seasoning and bring to a boil (with onions if using).  Measure out uncooked pasta.  If using spaghetti or lasagna, simply break into bite size pieces.  When broth boils, stir in pasta.  Reduce heat to medium.

Immediately crack egg into a large bowl.  Sprinkle with basil, salt and parmesan.  Whisk until mixed.  Crumble in meat.  Using a fork or your hands, work in until evenly mixed.  With wet hands, form mixture into small balls about the size of a cherry (don't worry if they aren't round) and drop right into the soup as each is formed.  Stir occasionally.  Then add tomatoes and zucchini.  Continue to boil gently until pasta and vegetables are tender and meatballs are cooked through.  Total cooking time for pasta will be at least 10 min.

Per 1 cup serving:  13 g protein, 6 g fat, 16 g carbs, 777 mg sodium, 1 g fibre, 67 mg calcium, 171 calories
2 Responses
This sounds good!

I can hardly wait for the cold weather to start so I can get busy making soups.
Olive Garden Restaurant has a soup like this one and it is wonderful!! I'm going to try this next week...hubby will love it.
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.