Healthy Cooking Community

It's a Wonderful Loaf (Healthy Meatloaf)

There was a question the other day about a healthy meatloaf.  I was looking through my archives and found this from the Eat, Shrink &  Be Merry Cookbook.  I bet you could make it all with ground turkey.

1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
3/4 lb. extra-lean ground chicken
3/4 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup peeled, grated sweet potato
1/2 cup unpeeled, grated zucchini
1/2 cup finely minced onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. each dried thyme, dried sage, and salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl.  Set aside.

Using your hands, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Pat mixture into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.  Spread ketchup mixture evenly over loaf.

Bank, uncovered, at 350 F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until meat is browned and juices run clear.

Pour off liquid in bottom of pan and remove loaf.  Slice into 8 pieces and serve immediately.

Per serving (8 servings in all) 218 calories, 6.3 g total fat (3.4 g saturated fat), 23 g protein, 18 g carbs, 1.3 g fibre, 44 mg cholesterol, 514 mg sodium
Twas I who asked about meatloaf and had some great ones given for me to try, I love this one, the sweet potatoe and zuchini is  new  and I havent tried thyme and sage only had that in stuffing, I have several now to try before some visitors arrive, going to have a practise run,this weekend using family as guinea pigs, I better get it right the l;ast was really was horribus, it was as if the spices clashed with each other.!