Aa
A
A
A
Close
377493 tn?1356502149

Looking for Heart Healthy Recipes

HI there,

My husband has been diagnosed with high cholesterol.  His father and grandfather had very high cholesterol and both had massive heart attacks, so it's time to change our lifestyle.  I am looking for easy recipes that are heart healthy.  He is kind of a picky eater...I have a hard time getting him to eat poultry as he always say's it's dry (probably what I am doing to it..lol).  Any help would be very much appreciated!  Thanks so much for any suggestions.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
172023 tn?1334672284
What kinds of foods does he like...dislikes besides poultry?  Does he like spicy foods?  Will he eat vegetables at all?  Do you have a crockpot?   Are you looking for like, recipes ready in 30 min or less type of thing?

I don't ask much, do I?  LOL!
Helpful - 0
377493 tn?1356502149
He is pretty much your basic meat and potatoes guy (he doesn't understand things like fruit and meat together..lol).  He doesn't mind spicy, but right now it's a challenge for me.  Mild is best. He will eat things like mild curries, etc.  I do have a crockpot (that's the same as a slow cooker, right?).  He also is really good about trying new things, but again, he is a pretty simple guy.  We are big on casseroles, and I love slow cooker recipes, especially when I go back to work in Feb.  Anything where I can double or triple the recipe for freezing is great.  Oh, and anything appropriate for a 10 month old is my perfect world scenario.  He wants to eat what mommy and daddy do these days.

I don't ask for much do I..lol.  I so appreciate the help. As I find other appropriate recipes on my own, I will post them as well.  
Helpful - 0
377493 tn?1356502149
Just another thought...things like stews, chilli, that sort of thing are big in our house.  I can just make a salad with them and away we go.  Thanks Peek, I really appreciate this!  We are hoping to get him off of Lipitor and under control through diet.
Helpful - 0
172023 tn?1334672284
Dear God in Heaven.

I just compiled a list of about 40 links, and somehow lost the post....I want to cry!

Will try again in a while...I'm discouraged.  Check back, have to go lay down for a bit.

(what I did was to use the SEARCH THIS COMMUNITY, on the right side of the page, above the sidebar.  I entered "Beef", "chicken", "tilapia", "fish", "pork", "crock pot", all sorts of things, if you want to look before I make it back.)

Wahhhhh!  I had the whole thing all neatly done FOR you...I want to die.  
Helpful - 0
377493 tn?1356502149
Oh my...I'm sorry.  I sure appreciate you going through so much trouble for me.  I will do the search now that I sort of know what to look for.  Thanks so much Peek..and how frustrating!!  
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Here are a couple you omight enjoy:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Healthy-Cooking/Chicken-and-White-Bean-Chili/show/766274

What about fish?  Many people don't like it because they've eaten it overcooked.  Try baking halibut or salmon or trout with a drizzle of lemon just until flaky (usually takes about 15 minutes at 350 F) and serve with this tartar sauce http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Healthy-Cooking/Dill-Caper-Tartar-Sauce/show/1263487.  ;

Do a search on this community on salmon and there are some awesome recipes.  The omega 3's are so good for you.  The same for chicken.  Pork tenderloin is a very lean and very tasty meat.  Search on that for some other great recipes.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.