Aa
A
A
A
Close
Healthy Cooking Community
1.25k Members

Low cal vegetarian meals?

I am 13 and I am a vegetarian. (I also try to limit my intake of dairy, but if there's a helthy meal or snack with dairy in it, then I will make an exception.) The rest of my family eats meat and I have to cook for myself on some occasions.
Also, both of my parents work all day so I was wondering about healthy snacks. Are there some simple things I could make/buy?
(Just to make it even more difficult, I am also counting my calories for about 1100 a day...)
1 Responses
Hummus and vegetables is a great way to start. It's available in most super markets already made (look for the one with the "cleanest" ingredients). It's also simple to make if you have a food processor. All you need is a can of cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans), tahini (sesame butter- I prefer Joya brand), lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. But the can of beans in the food processor (don't put all the accompanying bean liquid in just yet, save it in case you need to thing the hummus), the juice of 1/2 lemon, a good heaping tablespoon of the tahini, a tales (or less) of olive oil, and about 1/2 tsp (measured) salt (start with less and add more if needed). Blend until smooth, adding more bean liquid if needed to make a smooth dip. Eat with veggie sticks and pita bread. Eat well: only foods that PROMOTE health, and you won't need to count calories!
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.