Makeover recipe of the week - Coleslaw

How would you make this recipe healthier?

Ingredients

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 (16 ounce) package shredded coleslaw mix

Directions

1.In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed, garlic powder, onion powder and cider vinegar. Toss coleslaw mix with dressing to coat. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 256 | Total Fat: 23.3g | Cholesterol: 15mg
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I love Mayo based salads but only make them every now and then and when I do I use Helmans Canola Mayo. I also don't think you need so much mayo. Once it sits it will shrink in size. Other than that I like some of the recipes that are more like a vinaigrette but that's not quit Cole Slaw to me. I'll look for a recipe. I know I have one for Broccoli Slaw.
Helpful - 0
Well, one of the first things Swampy would do is buy a whole cabbage and cut it himself. Much better in quality.

This is a good candidate for low fat mayonnaise. But, it would be interesting to compare the nutrition information with low fat sour cream, with an eye towards a sour cream dressing.
Helpful - 0
I love buying broccoli or "rainbow" pre-cut slaw from the produce section.  It's broccoli (and sometimes other veggies in the case of rainbow) cut into slaw-like strings.  I'll add it to green salads to boost the nutrition and crunch, or substitute it for ~1/3 of the shredded cabbage in coleslaw.  To my knowledge, cabbage has almost no nutritional value, so sneaking in some broccoli is a good way to bump up coleslaw.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community