Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
144586 tn?1284666164

Perfect Hard-boiled-eggs

This is my recipe for the perfect hard-boiled egg. My little 104-year old loved to eat the yellow part.

Use organic eggs, preferably large.

In a stainless steel pot put the eggs.

Bring to a rolling boil.

Cook for exactly seventeen minutes after the boil begins.

Have a bowl of ice water. Use a strainer, and put the eggs in the ice-water for one minute.

Use a strainer, return the eggs to the boiling water for thirty seconds.

Return to the ice water for a minute.

The shells will now slip off in one or two pieces.

Store under the ice-water in the refrigerator until ready for use.

Serve with a dash of sea-salt and fresh-ground pepper.

If you are making egg salad, don't make it until the last minute. Mayonaisse is a great home for bacteria.

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
172023 tn?1334672284
Eggs have an unecessarily bad reputation.  

This is pretty much how I do them, too.  Only I find that 12-13 minutes is enough for the first boiling time.  
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
I love boiled eggs I am more careful now but was brought up with soft boiled eggs and soldiers of toast to dip in them, still want to eat them this way, but I am afraid to,,,,,
Helpful - 0
I just had to follow up, and wanted to  thank you so much for this tip! Works like a charm!
I will never do it any other way!
Helpful - 0
356929 tn?1246389756
The best advice I was given was years ago.. from an egg farmer: The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.. The easiest are the eggs a week old (or even more)  They are still considered fresh, but a teeny bit of air has gotten between that little membrane and shell.. (check for yourself.. really true)

If you MUST make hard boiled eggs from really fresh eggs, leave them at room temp. for a few hours before boiling. I know.. I was horrified... but it does work and I've been doing it this way for years and years ...(and peel while still hot if they're super fresh.
Helpful - 0
638373 tn?1249407969
Seventeen minutes??  Thats a lonnnng boiled egg...wow.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.