Healthy Cooking Community

Simply Roasted Turkey

SIMPLY ROASTED TURKEY

This recipe serves 8 plus leftovers

INGREDIENTS

1 whole fresh turkey, 10 to 14 pounds
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 bay leaves, crushed
2 medium onions, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 carrots, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 shallots, peeled and halved

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

2. Remove the giblets from the turkey and save them for another use or discard. Rinse the turkey, inside and out, with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper inside and out.

3. If you are using fresh herbs, chop them. Combine the herbs, bay leaves, onions, carrots, celery and shallots together and stuff the mixture into the cavity of the bird.

4. Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub the olive oil under the skin of the turkey. Tuck the wings back, under the bird and truss it.

5. Place the turkey in the oven and roast until the skin is golden brown and crisp, the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a sharp knife, and a meat thermometer reads 170°F, about 3 hours. While it cooks, occasionally baste the turkey with the juices that collect in the roasting pan.

Note: Allow the turkey to rest for 20 minutes and check that the temperature has come up to 180°F. (The bird will continue to cook after removing it from the oven).

6. Transfer the turkey to a serving platter. Remove the vegetables from the cavity and discard. Let the turkey rest for about 20 minutes before carving, and then serve.

Serving Size: about 6 ounces
Number of Servings: 8
Per Serving
Calories 290  
Carbohydrate 0 g
Fat 8 g
Fiber 0 g
Protein 49 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Sodium 119 mg

We're hosting a Count Your Blessings Thanksgiving Challenge in the Weight Loss & Dieting Community.  Won't you come join us?   http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/688007

If you're not currently a member of the WL&D Community, we'd love to have you.  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/190

Bon Appetito!!!  
Thank you I am cooking turkey in the UK this year (going back to spend the holidays with Family) and I havent cooked one for ages,I will do the one above ,many thanks and I will visit your forum.