Substitutes in Protein

With the price of all meats and meat products rising, including chicken and fish what are the most nutritious protein that we can get in the stores to replace it, I know beans are a good source ,what ideas would you have including recipes ..
Best Answer
I just thought of another way for protein. Seems I recall reading you have an issue with snails? LOL
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Not really a recipe, but sometimes I have a stir fry type dish with rice, scrambled egg, and veggies.
Cheese (potato salad with cheddar cheese in it, and or hardboiled egg)
garden salad with hardboiled eggs, black beans, cheese etc..
Peanutbutter  & jelly sand.
toss some nuts into salads (I dont like it but others do)
Helpful - 0
thanks  I do like nuts ...its harder to do the evening meal but I am using rice more with beans..I guess one gets used to the meat and 2 veg thing ...well vegitarianism here I come ......
Helpful - 0
Tempeh is a great meat substitute.  It's high in protein, has more texture than tofu, and is fairly inexpensive.  It's actually very cheap if you make it yourself (recipe here:  http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~manfred/tempeh/ ).  Like tofu, it doesn't have much flavor by itself.  If you make a mean sauce, no one will complain about the tempeh!

Or if tempeh seems too complicated, try snails.
Helpful - 0
IN the UK there is a vegetarian product called Quorn, it's a type fungus that is very high in protein (if I remember correctly). It comes in different forms, its basically textured and formed into different products. One resembles 'minced beef/pork', another is like diced chicken, there are other forms too. It lacks flavour though but if you make something like bolognaise with it its hard to tell it apart from meat.
Helpful - 0
hahah you guys are so funny.. I do have a snail problem in my garden this year and no I cant kill anything.. so I wont be eating them, although the french say they are 'Formidable '  Now Tofu upsets my stomach.. but I haven't tried tempeh ,I will get some thank you Tim  for that idea, I make a great curry sauce ,that may be useful . JHuxlet I have heard of Quorn...it is something vegetarians eat .don't know if I have seen it here, but will look, I am returning to England on Vacation  late summer ,maybe I will get some if its good to bring back. .Yesterday whilst at the stores I saw that they are putting up deals on meat and fish so I guess the answer is also to stock up on the deals .when they happen ..I am afraid inflation is upon us and its going to become more expensive so I am going to stock up on beans ...pulses and the like .
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community