Turkey in UK

Hi Guys I am a visitor on your site but I get many delicious recipes sneaked  from here, Can you tell me how long it takes for a pretty big Turkey to freeze out, I am going to England to stay with mt Daughter at her House for Xmas, as she will have had a Baby not too many weeks before she asked me to cook the Xmas meal, I am not too bad a cook but I have never cooked a big Turkey, I know that it will say on the packet how long but I thought my fellow Med Helpers may have some views also what is a favorite stuffing and should I stuff it in the bird.or have it seperate. I want to do it the American Way ,Thanks a bunch .
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It depends how big. I know I usually buy a 20 pound turkey for Thanksgiving and give it about 5 days to thaw in the refrigerator. Sometimes it might need an extra day or half a day to thaw in the sink with cold running water. Just don't leave it out on your counter to thaw. You'd hate to get food poisoning on Christmas!

It's actually pretty easy to cook a big turkey. I never stuff mine. I think it takes longer to cook that way. I always cook my stuffing off to the side. What I usually do is buy a good name brand like Butterball. After it's thawed, on the day I'm cooking it I get up early in the morning and clean it with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. I make sure all the innerds are out (gizzards and stuff). When the cavity is empty I stuff an onion and cut up apple inside to help keep the turkey moist. Then I rub the whole thing with olive oil and sprinkle some herbs on top like Rosemary, Garlic or whatever I have that seems interesting at the time! I switch it around sometimes. Then I cook it according to the directions for each pound of turkey in the oven in a large roasting pan. When the wings and breast start turning brown I lightly cover those portions with a tent of foil so they don't dry out.
When it's done I pull out the onion and apple and discard. Let the turkey rest and then carve it. It always turns out real well. Like I said, it's really not difficult to roast a turkey. It's the sides that are more difficult. That's why I make my pies, stuffing and sweet potatoes the day before. I save the turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, veggies and rolls for the day I'm serving. I have some great recipes for stuffing and cranberry sauce if you're interested!

Hope any of that helps. I'm sure your turkey will turn out fine!
Helpful - 0
Official recommendations:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Lets_Talk_Turkey/index.asp

Its been many many years since Swampy has eaten turkey, but he believes that having enough for turkey sandwiches with fresh lettuce and mayo is an absolute requirement.

Helpful - 0
Here is a link to a video that takes you through it.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/test_kitchen_videos_how_to_cook_a_turkey.php

This is the first year I am not the one cooking the turkey.   Our Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend so will get my fill from family.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your input I will go to the turkey site and print it out to take with me and also the recipe from April2 sounds good with the apple and onion inside, they have their own English way of doing it all but if we are cooking it this year I want to make it an "American  Turkey" It'll have to be a big turkey as my daughter has invited everyone ,at least thats what it sounds like!!
Helpful - 0
The apple and onion are really just to keep it moist. You don't have to use both. You can use one or the other. I think it also gives off a slight aroma, which is nice. Remember the Rosemary! I think that tastes good on turkey.
Helpful - 0
I will take the Rosemary back with me ....I wonder if customs allow you to take back a herb or two, if not I will get it there.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community