Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
535822 tn?1443976780

Turkey in UK

Hi Guys I am a visitor on your site but I get many delicious recipes sneaked  from here, Can you tell me how long it takes for a pretty big Turkey to freeze out, I am going to England to stay with mt Daughter at her House for Xmas, as she will have had a Baby not too many weeks before she asked me to cook the Xmas meal, I am not too bad a cook but I have never cooked a big Turkey, I know that it will say on the packet how long but I thought my fellow Med Helpers may have some views also what is a favorite stuffing and should I stuff it in the bird.or have it seperate. I want to do it the American Way ,Thanks a bunch .
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
203342 tn?1328737207
It depends how big. I know I usually buy a 20 pound turkey for Thanksgiving and give it about 5 days to thaw in the refrigerator. Sometimes it might need an extra day or half a day to thaw in the sink with cold running water. Just don't leave it out on your counter to thaw. You'd hate to get food poisoning on Christmas!

It's actually pretty easy to cook a big turkey. I never stuff mine. I think it takes longer to cook that way. I always cook my stuffing off to the side. What I usually do is buy a good name brand like Butterball. After it's thawed, on the day I'm cooking it I get up early in the morning and clean it with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. I make sure all the innerds are out (gizzards and stuff). When the cavity is empty I stuff an onion and cut up apple inside to help keep the turkey moist. Then I rub the whole thing with olive oil and sprinkle some herbs on top like Rosemary, Garlic or whatever I have that seems interesting at the time! I switch it around sometimes. Then I cook it according to the directions for each pound of turkey in the oven in a large roasting pan. When the wings and breast start turning brown I lightly cover those portions with a tent of foil so they don't dry out.
When it's done I pull out the onion and apple and discard. Let the turkey rest and then carve it. It always turns out real well. Like I said, it's really not difficult to roast a turkey. It's the sides that are more difficult. That's why I make my pies, stuffing and sweet potatoes the day before. I save the turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, veggies and rolls for the day I'm serving. I have some great recipes for stuffing and cranberry sauce if you're interested!

Hope any of that helps. I'm sure your turkey will turn out fine!
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Official recommendations:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Lets_Talk_Turkey/index.asp

Its been many many years since Swampy has eaten turkey, but he believes that having enough for turkey sandwiches with fresh lettuce and mayo is an absolute requirement.

Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Here is a link to a video that takes you through it.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/test_kitchen_videos_how_to_cook_a_turkey.php

This is the first year I am not the one cooking the turkey.   Our Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend so will get my fill from family.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
Thank you for your input I will go to the turkey site and print it out to take with me and also the recipe from April2 sounds good with the apple and onion inside, they have their own English way of doing it all but if we are cooking it this year I want to make it an "American  Turkey" It'll have to be a big turkey as my daughter has invited everyone ,at least thats what it sounds like!!
Helpful - 0
203342 tn?1328737207
The apple and onion are really just to keep it moist. You don't have to use both. You can use one or the other. I think it also gives off a slight aroma, which is nice. Remember the Rosemary! I think that tastes good on turkey.
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
I will take the Rosemary back with me ....I wonder if customs allow you to take back a herb or two, if not I will get it there.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.