Weekly Recipe Makeover - BBQ Pork Ribs

What would you do to make this recipe healthier?

BBQ BELLY PORK RIBS IN ITS OWN
MARINADE SAUCE  

4 lbs. of thick and meaty pork belly ribs
bbq sauce (smoked variety)
red wine
ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
honey
rosemary fresh leaves
oregano flakes
salt & pepper to taste
corn starch or flour

No specific ingredient quantities are needed for this recipe. You will adjust them to your liking. (The more, the better!) Four pounds meat feeds four hungry people!
Start by marinating the ribs, putting them fairly packed into a plastic bag or non-metal container. Sprinkle them with a lot of fresh Rosemary leaves (dried rosemary leaves may be used but the flavor will be not the same), oregano flakes and pepper (no salt at this time), then liberally coat them with the honey, BBQ sauce, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.

Turn the ribs and repeat the same operation, then add the red wine, being very careful not to wash out the coating of the ribs (you should pour the wine into the corners of the container).

The wine should cover most of the ribs. Allow to marinate overnight in the refrigerator, carefully turning several times.

Prepare the charcoal. You will need plenty of it because pork takes more time than beef, and the ribs should be cooked in the upper rack of the grill if possible. After the meat is seared on one side, turn it around and put the salt over this side, then repeat the salting process when the opposite side is also sealed.

You will need to turn them quite a few times in order to cook the ribs without burning. I check the doneness of the ribs by cutting a piece in the thickest part of one rib and checking the color. I prefer them cooked when the internal flesh has a very light pink color without blood at all, but this is up to you.

Some 5 minutes before the ribs are done, pour more honey over them, allowing it to melt.

SAUCE:

In the meanwhile, put all the marinade juice into a skillet (it can be sieved if you like) and add 2 or 3 teaspoons of cornstarch or flour to thicken the sauce.
Bring it to boil, then simmer for a few minutes. Check the thickness of this sauce and add the salt to your liking. If you like it thicker, add more cornstarch dissolved in any cold liquid (water, wine or etc) to avoid the forming of any lumps.

Note: To avoid an uncooked cornstarch taste, add cornstarch at least 10 minutes before cooking is finished.

Serve the ribs with the sauce in a separate bowl.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's quite a nice sounding recipe. The only really unhealthy bit is the ribs! So I guess use another cut and keep the sauce the same. Maybe a leg flattened out or lion that's been butterflied. I would make my own bbq sauce as well.

I would cook this differntly though. I would start this off in the oven on a low heat for maybe three or four hours, so it becomes very tender, this is an important step particularly if using pork ribs. I would marinade the meat and then cook it in the marinade. Remove when tender, do the sauce in the same way but dip the ribs into and bbq. This will give a lovely glaze, you can baste as they cook. put some oak or apple wood chips on the bbq to impart somkey flavour.
Helpful - 0
I find either boiling the ribs or else braising slowly in the oven ahead makes them tender and eliminates a lot of the fat.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community