Healthy Cooking Community

Wine-Poached Sole

Wine-Poached Sole

1 pound sole fillets (or cod, pollock, orange roughy or flounder)

Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/8 teaspoon each black pepper and salt
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Procedure:

1. Heat oil in saute pan. Add shallots and garlic. Saute 1 minute. Add wine, dill, pepper and salt. Bring to boil.
    Reduce heat to simmer.
2. Add sole. Baste sole with liquid. Poach 2-3 minutes until fish flakes when tested with a fork. It is not necessary
    to turn the fish.
3. Remove fish to serving plate. Turn heat to high. Reduce liquid by half. Spoon liquid over fillets.

Garnish with parsley.

Per serving: 121 calories: 3g protein: 3 g fat: 36 mg cholesterol: 109 sodium.
Source: "Seafood Twice A Week" by Evie Hansen and Cindy Snyder

Reviews: Quite good! The fish was very tender and delicate in flavor. One good thing about poaching fish is it doesn't dry out like other ways of cooking fish. It did take longer to cook than they suggested but I might have got larger fillets. It's quick, easy, tasty and healthy. Everything I like! I will definitely make it again. :)

I served this with garlic and olive oil couscous and steamed spinach with lemon juice. I was going to make green beans but we were out.
I hope everyone likes this! And that is my recipe using dill! ;P  

Good recipe.

I like the variety of fish that can be used.
Is there another liquid you can use besides wine? Possibly like a good chicken broth? I cannot have wine because of the medication I'm on. This recipe sounds really good!! Thank You!!  :o)
Its got dill!  Go, April!
Kande, most of the wine cooks off but I don't see why you couldn't try chicken broth. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out! :)
I'm sure the chicken broth would work well, but is'nt there such a thing as fish broth?
Swampy wouldn't use just chicken broth as a substitute. Its the wrong ph -- not acid enough.

Try a low sugar acidic fruit juice -- heck, red grape juice with a splash of lime would probably work well.

Now, the absolute glory substitution in the recipe is to use calamari (the large pieces) instead of fish. Serve with a crisp salad.
Except for those who don't like calamari, like me! Lol. But that fruit juice substitute sounds good too! I may have to experiment and try that! Thanks, Swampy!
I'am going to try the fruit juice. Great idea!! Thank's!!
That does sound interesting! Grape juice with a splash of wine, mm. Where do you get all these ideas, Swampy?
Swampy gets the ideas because he eats too much. Also, for the longest time all his best friends were chefs.
We have a chef here at MedHelp. Her username is, "chef4u." Shes a sweetheart!! Check out her pictures. She has some of her in her kitchen cooking.