asian green beans

You know those yummy green beans you get in the chinese places or pay $4.99/lb for in the deli section?  Well you can make them at home really cheap!  You can already find green beans in the farmers markets too ( bringing them up from the south if you live in the NE like I do ) , I pay usually $1-2/quart for them there.  Lots cheaper to make at home then to pick up off the deli!!!  they literally take minutes to make. usually takes me longer to clip the ends off the beans than to make them.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sesame-green-beans-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds green beans, washed and trimmed
    * 1 tablespoon wok or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
    * 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, several drops or a drizzle
    * 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    * 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (a handful)
    * Coarse salt

Directions

Steam green beans covered in 1/2-inch boiling water for 2 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander and run under cold water. Drain well.

Heat a wok shaped skillet or large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Go once-around-the-pan with wok or vegetable oil, add several drops sesame oil, and crushed pepper flakes. The pan will smoke. Add beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add sesame seeds and coarse salt and toss to coat beans evenly.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am crazy for anything with sesame flavor.  Mmmm...
Helpful - 0
Dark sesame oil is a key ingredient. When Swampy makes this dish he also adds black bean sauce.
Helpful - 0
I'm not real adventurous with my asian sauces . what does black bean sauce taste like?

I was so excited this morning, had a bag of stir fry veggies from market in the fridge I needed to use ( $2.50 for a bag - can't get it at that price in the grocery! ). I was stir frying it with lemon olive oil and thought, wait, I think I have a bottle of some sort of sauce in the cupboard. I found a bottle of spicey orange sauce, threw some of that one the veggies right at the end, made some rice and ta da - it hit the spot so much I had some for lunch too ( yes, I made stir fry for breakfast...lol ).

grace
Helpful - 0
Black bean sauce is made with fermented soybeans and garlic. The soybeans look dark brown and have a sharp, almost pickled flavor. Combined with garlic they have a sweet salty taste.

Don't know how else to describe it...order something with black mean sauce next time you are eating Chinese food...
Helpful - 0
Let me introduce you to coal country chinese swampy....he he he  

that actually sounds like something I might like. I usually just don't like the fishy tasting sauces in chinese.
Helpful - 0
Grace, you will love it!  You will definitely recognize the taste from having Chinese food.  It is nice for those who don't like fishy or too spicy.
Helpful - 0
I'm so ready to go to market tomorrow and then stop off at the grocery store for some new sauces!!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community