Healthy Cooking Community

i am new to pre diabetes and high cholesterol

I just found out I have pre diabetes and high cholesterol and am overweight. About 60 pounds overweight. Ugh...so upsetting..I am.determined to get this under control without meds. Please if anyone can suggest apps or anything else it would be appreciated.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  Many of us here at med help are I the same boat and are trying to eat healthy for health reasons or to lose/maintain weight.  

I recently went through a revamping of my diet.  I cut way down on sugar.  This is hard because I **  your sister in sugar***  really loved that white stuff.  Hate to admit I liked process foods too.  so, by getting rid of the excess sugar and processed foods .  .   . it is a really good start to helping with your prediabetic state.  That is a dietary change that is worth it.  I know that cutting back has changed how I feel.  I don't crave sugar like I used to.  And I didn't totally eliminate it but just watch it, count it and control it.  No crackers, sweets, pop, etc.  

Cholesterol is something I also am aware of and we watch at our house.  One thing that is really important to your overall cholesterol number is exercise.  This increases your HDL or good cholesterol and helps even out  your total number.  If you don't exercise, you can start slow.  even 10 minutes a day is a start, doing it 5 to 6 days a week.  And then increase.  Then if you do a minimum of 30 minutes 5 times a week of moderate exercise, this really helps.  I used to be the work out queen.  Um, that kind of dropped off for me (totally?).  So, I had to start from scratch.  I find that I really like group exercise classes.  That helps me get motivated to go and if you have a friend who will meet you there, it's perfect because you don't want to let your friend down so you go.  I meet a friend at the gym about 4 days a week and go on my own for one other.  I like interval classes and boot camp type of classes because they move really fast and my heart rate gets up to where I know it is having an impact.  I also walk on the treadmill.  I don't run . . .  but I will do interval training on the treadmill and go uphill and then walk on flat, alternating.  This I can do with a book on tape in my ear (those playaways??  ever hear of those, can get them at the library and they are recorded books) or my ipod for music.  Time flies. Or again, if you do it with a friend so you can talk, that helps time go by really fast.  I started really slow . . .  yes, younger, more in shape friends were bouncing around all around me but I just went in my mom sweats and did the best I could being careful not to hurt myself.  (warm up, warm down!!).  I cut myself some slack if I looked silly.  It honestly doesn't take that long to get into a routine and get yourself in a little better shape.  But you choose what you like to do and just do it.  Start out slow and keep motivated to keep going!!  

Cholesterol in food is something that you can read on the back of packaging or get online.  I try to minimize all fats such as butters and oils.  I eat lean meat such as chicken with no skin, pork, and try to eat seafood as a main course.  Vegetables are a mainstay of any good health eating plan as well.  Some of the super grains such as quinoa are great to look into.  We have recipes for such here on the forum.  

Let me know what other questions you have but we are glad you found us.  
                         Mediterranean Diet Best for Diabetics
A study printed in the Annals of Internal Medicine compared the Mediterranean diet head-to head with a traditional low-carb, low-fat diet in a group of newly diagnosed overweight diabetics. After four years, the results
were astounding Seventy percent of those on a traditional low-carb diet usually recommended for diabetics ended up on medication compared to 44 percent of those on a Mediterranean-style diet.That’s a huge difference!
When starting the Mediterranean diet, try to eat eight servings of whole grains per day; three fruit and six vegetable servings every day; fish daily, but limit red meat to once a week; have two to three
servings of dairy (specifically yogurt and cheese) every day.
Exercise is also vital to preventing and reversing diabetes. Everyone agrees we should get 150 to 175 minutes of moderately intensive exercise
each week divided into about 30 minutes five days a week. To combat insulin resistance is about 50 percent aerobic, which is walking and running, and 50 percent strength, which uses weights.
You have to stick to diet and exercise.

I suggest doing the PEAK 8 ROUTINE
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst.

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle.

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body. The links are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7j9FRiJpg&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5hRYXmxSE&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKML9EL4As&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

Figure your heart rate by this formula
subtract your age from 220. That will give you your maximum heart rate.
You want to get your heart rate between 65% and 85% of your maximum heart rate.
You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
I suggest buying a heart rate monitor from a sports store.
Before doing anything please get the OK from your doctor.
I know you can do this! It's all in your head to decide the outcome!!
Good luck!