low carb lunch

What can I eat for lunch that is low carb and low fat? Please help me! Thanks! :-)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I find, the more carbs I have for lunch the more sluggish and tired I become so here's a few ideas for that pick me up at mid-day; tuna/ chicken salad, with avocado (good fats). Or on seeded bread (although high in calories, have good fatty acids) or whole meal. Or half a can of baked beans with a small potato and lots of salad. These are just a couple ideas, if you google/ YouTube your question, lots of brilliant recipes and ideas will pop up. Hope this helps :)
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Try a salad with some lean meat in it or tuna.  Use a wrap instead of bread.  Try some beans and brown rice made in the morning and heated up in a microwave.  etc.  good luck
Helpful - 0

Hash Browns
Substitute: Squash for potatoes
Summer squash (the football-shaped yellow kind) tastes similar to potatoes when cooked—but has just a fraction of the carbs. Grate the squash, mix in an egg as binder, make patties, and fry them in olive oil, Carbs Eliminated: About 15 grams (g) per hash-brown patty
The Taste: "Not as firm and crispy as regular hash browns, but the potato flavor is there."

Mash Potatoes
Substitute: Cauliflower for potatoes
Steam some fresh or frozen cauliflower in the microwave. Then spray the cauliflower with butter substitute, add a little nonfat half-and-half substitute, and puree in a food processor or blender. "Salt and pepper to taste and you've got something that quite honestly can compete with the real thing any day. To make it even better, try adding roasted garlic, cheese, or sour cream to the mixture. Carbs Eliminated: 30 g per cup
The Taste: "After a couple of bites, you forget it's not potatoes."

Lasagna
Substitute: Zucchini slices for noodles
Slice four to five medium-size zukes lengthwise into three-quarter-inch-thick strips, Sprinkle Italian seasoning on the strips, place them in a single layer on a nonstick cookie sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. You want them firm, not crisp. "Then simply make the lasagna as you normally would, replacing lasagna noodles with the baked zucchini”.
Carbs Eliminated: 36 g per serving
The Taste: "Delicious. The zucchini provides texture that you don't get from noodles alone."

Spaghetti
Substitute: Spaghetti squash for spaghetti

A cooked spaghetti squash is like Mother Nature's automatic spaghetti maker—the flesh becomes noodlelike strands. "All you have to do is cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Then place each half—cut side down—on a plate with a quarter cup of water," Nuke the squash for 10 minutes or until it's soft to the touch. Let it cool, then scrape out the "spaghetti" strands and top with pasta sauce and cheese. Carbs Eliminated: 30 g per cup
The Taste: "Great. Spaghetti squash has exactly the same consistency as real pasta."
                                                              Pancakes
Substitute: Oatmeal and cottage cheese for pancake mix
Mix together half a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, a quarter cup of low-fat cottage cheese, two eggs, and a dash each of vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process in a blender until smooth. Cook the mixture like a regular pancake. Carbs Eliminated: 45 g per pancake
The Taste: "With syrup, you could never tell the difference."

Scalloped Potatoes
Substitute: Tempeh for potatoes

You may think you don't like soy-based foods, but that could be because you don't cook them right,  "Tempeh can be really bland, but if you jazz it up with herbs and spices, it's a great substitute for potatoes.” recommendation: Saute a couple of cups of thinly diced tempeh with garlic and onions. Then pour a cheese sauce (sharper is better) over the tempeh cubes and bake for half an hour.
Carbs Eliminated: 11 g per cup The Taste: "Just like a slightly nutty baked potato."

Macaroni and Cheese
Substitute: Diced vegetables for macaroni

Even instant mac and cheese can go lower-carb; use only half the pasta in the box and bulk it up with a couple of cups of frozen mixed vegetables, Carbs Eliminated: 13 g per cup
The Taste: "I hate broccoli, but I wouldn't mind eating this."

Pasta Salad
Substitute: Mixed vegetables or black beans for half the pasta
Same idea as the mac and cheese, but try black beans, diced tomatoes, and chunks of ham, tuna, chicken, or hard-boiled eggs,  "These kinds of salads are a blank slate, so you can top them with anything from a creamy blue-cheese dressing to vinaigrette, or even lime juice and slices of avocado,"
Carbs Eliminated: 10 g per cup The Taste: "Awesome. I don't miss the extra pasta at all."

Cheese-Flavored Chips
Substitute: Low-fat string cheese for chips
Just crazy enough to work: Cut sticks of string cheese into quarter-inch-thick slices and scatter the rounds on a cookie sheet coated with nonstick spray, leaving them an inch or two apart. Bake at 375 F for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Let them cool, then peel the chips off the tray. Carbs Eliminated: Up to 90 g per serving
The Taste: "Like the cheese you pull off the top of a pizza."

Pizza
Substitute: Portobello mushrooms for pizza crust
Cut the gills out of the inside of the mushroom, "then place the mushroom on an oiled cookie sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes so it dries out slightly." Add tomato sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni or other toppings and broil until the cheese begins to melt. Carbs Eliminated: About 20 g per slice
The Taste: "Like pizza, but moister.

Beef-a-Roni
Substitute: Eggplant for pasta
Mixing diced eggplant with ground beef is healthier and more highbrow than this old skillet special—call it moussaka American style. You have to soften the eggplant first, Cut it in half, brush it with olive oil, and then broil for 10 to 20 minutes. "Let it cool, dice it up, and mix with hamburger, tomato sauce, and spices," Carbs Eliminated: 26 g per cup The Taste: "Exactly like Hamburger Helper, in a good way."

Sandwiches
Substitute: Napa or Chinese cabbage for bread

Slap your turkey and Swiss onto a leaf of cabbage and roll it up. "I've made some great-tasting BLTs using cabbage instead of bread," Dip the roll in low-fat mayonnaise or mustard.
Carbs Eliminated: 29 g per sandwich The Taste: "Better than eating plain cold cuts."
Helpful - 0
I always love pain rice cakes, with an avocado mash and cucumbers, tomatoes and sprouts on top
Helpful - 0
Awesome suggestions I did the portobello mushroom pizzas yesterday.  They were a hit. Great alternative.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community