Healthy Cooking Community

need veggie advice

I'm very open to try different food but I would like some delicious ways to cook veggies. I would like to change my meals.Also a way to make them taste better because once you steam your veggies they lose flavor and I don't like a lot of veggies raw. If anyone can help with a site or recipes and opinions I would be awesomely grateful.
:)
Do you have a grill?  What a little olive oil garlic salt pepper and grill them.  My family loves to do squash like this.  
I dont have a grill but we r going to get one ill try it thanks :)
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, grilling is good.  You can also add things when cooking to help the flavor.  An example is using a skillet and placing in green beans (I like haricot verts--  these long, super skinny green beans)--  fresh ones.  Then you can add balsamic vinegar to the pan and cook until tender.  Very flavorful.  I use salad vinegar for many things to give added flavor.  Drizzled on a steamed zucchini for example.  Don't forget your spices.

You can roast vegis with spices and they can be quite good.  

If you use a little oil and a skillet, you can stir fry them with some low sodium soy sauce.

I'm very weird about vegi's too but find I like them cooked all these ways.  I'm not a fan of frozen vegis but frozen broccoli so I only eat fresh and occasionally canned.

Oh, carrots in hummus.  I love that!  Red peppers dipped into some low fat cream cheese is delicious.  
Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers
yields 12-14 burgers | vegetarian and vegan friendly
Ingredients
2 cans of black beans, lightly rinsed and drained
1 large sweet potato, cooked, skin removed
1/4 cup of red or white onions
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of cumin
dash of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or ginger powder
Method | Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mash the black beans and sweet potato together with a whisk or fork. Then add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined using a large spoon. Spray a baking sheet with oil, then place 1/4-cup patties onto the sheet. Cook for 8 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with desired toppings. Store in refrigerator to keep fresh for a few days. Otherwise, freeze in a well-insulated container or freezer bag and reheat in the microwave or oven.
 Serve these atop a bun or just as they are. I preferred stacked high with veggies, a swirl of ketchup and mustard, and a few slices of fresh jalapeno.

Quick Thai Chicken and Vegetable Curry Recipe

2 teaspoon oil, canola
1 medium pepper(s), red, bell, cut into 1-to-2 inch long juillienne strips
1 medium onion(s), halved and sliced
1 clove(s) garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, fresh, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon curry paste, red, 1-2 teaspoons, or to taste
1 pounds chicken, breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup(s) broth, chicken, less sodium
1 cup(s) coconut milk, light
1 tablespoon fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar, brown, light
1 1/2 cup(s) cauliflower, florets
2 cup(s) spinach, baby
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 medium lime(s), cut into wedges

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Add bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and curry paste; stir to mix.

Add chicken and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar; bring to a simmer.

Add cauliflower, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in spinach and lime juice; cook just until spinach has wilted.

Serve immediately, with lime wedges.

http://healyeatsreal.com/10-amazing-turmeric-recipes/

http://www.organicgardening.com/living/best-and-worst-ways-to-cook-vegetables?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-1320912-_-06062013-_-BestWorstVegs-hed

Ways to Make Your Vegetables Taste Good

Sauté 2 cups fresh or frozen peas in olive oil until barely tender. Fold in chopped fresh mint and thin strips of prosciutto.

Green Beans  Sauté a chopped onion, 4 chopped tomatoes, and 2 minced garlic cloves in olive oil until very soft. Add 2 pounds green beans and simmer until just tender.

Carrots Gently boil ½ cup carrot slices in 1 cup each of water and orange juice, plus 1 garlic clove and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, until the liquid has thickened enough to cling to the carrots. Finish with 1 tablespoon butter. (Boiling carrots also boosts their antioxidant content.

Zucchini & Summer Squash Using a vegetable peeler, cut ribbons from 1 large zucchini. Place them in a bowl and mix with the juice of ½ lemon, 3 or 4 basil leaves, sliced thin, and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well and season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste.

Spinach Combine 1 cup cream with ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, 3 crushed garlic cloves, and salt and pepper, and simmer until reduced by half. Stir in 2 packages thawed frozen spinach and heat through.

Broccoli  Blanch broccoli in boiling water until crisp tender. Drain. Heat butter in a large skillet, swirling until light brown. Add the broccoli and cook until it's lightly browned. Squeeze in lemon and top with toasted nuts. Eat that broccoli with fish.

Corn Use a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high. Peel back the husks and remove the silk of the corn, and then re-cover the ears with the husks and soak them in cold water for 10 minutes. Grill the ears for 15 minutes, turning so the husks don't burn. Pull back the husks and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the corn is lightly charred. Paint the ears creating a sheen with the mayo, squeeze some fresh lime juice on top, and dust with chili powder and finely grated Parmesan cheese.

Brussels Sprouts (I call them Brussels FARTS :>) I don't like them!)
Blanch halved brussels sprouts in boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain. Crisp some chopped bacon in a skillet, add the sprouts, and cook until lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme, if you like.

Cauliflower Break a head of cauliflower into florets. Toss with oil and then with 1 tablespoon curry powder. Roast in a 425˚F oven until browned and tender. (Curry also helps clear Alzheimer's-causing plaque proteins from the brain.

Source:  EMILY MAIN

COMMUNITY LEADER
That is a pretty thorough and awesome list of vegi ideas!  Wow, had no idea you were such a chef gymdandee.  Great ideas!
At times I am :>)

Ultimate Veggie Burger
1 cup cooked black beans
½ cup black bean puree
½ cup cooked farro ( a type of wheat )
1/3 cup panko
1 egg
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ Tbsp smashed chickpeas
1 ½ Tbsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 small carrot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small shallot, minced
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp canola oil

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the canola oil. Mix well.
Divide the mixture into six patties about 1-inch thick.
Heat the canola oil in a large grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the burger patties and cook until well seared on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Makes 6 burgers.
Sorry, The recipe is from executive chef  Kyle Bailey