Hearing Loss Community
698 Members

I don’t have much chances to get back my hearing

I experienced a sudden hearing loss ( SHL ) about 9 months ago. My regular health care provider prescribed some antibiotics since I had a bacterial infection. Two weeks later, I went to a local ENT to check this and they referred me to Hearing Solutions in Canada to do further tests. They explained to me that mine was an unfortunate case and I have both hearing loss and vertigo. They asked me to take a fall prevention therapy which could help to regain my balance. But it seems like I don’t have much chances to get back my hearing. Unfortunately, they are true. I am now experiencing a high frequency loss in my both ears and I have started using the hearing aids.
Loss of hearing in the higher frequencies, generally considered frequencies over 8 thousand hertz is very common among older people (me) and others who have subjected their hearing to very loud noise, music and hand-grenades come to mind.  This type of hearing loss is normally treated with hearing aids that give a boost to the frequencies that the person has lost sensitivity to.

Hearing is a complex process involving the "mechanics" of the ear and "mental processing" in the brain.  

I have found hearing aids very helpful and I both hear things that were not heard at all and hear speech much better, thus I understand what is said by another person (radio/tv/person) much better, and at lower volume.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life