Hearing Loss Forum

Ear slapped

Over the past week i've had abit of a cold/Nasty cough but no form of slight hearing loss. I was blowing my nose(maybe too hard) and it popped my ears to the point where i thought i was completely deaf. Later that night i still had popped ears but then my girlfriend by accident hit me across the ear with the back of her hand and it made a loud ringing sound and slight dizzyness but not painful. It ringed for about 30 seconds. After about 2 hours i still had popped ears, barely hear anything out of either ear so i thought i'd sleep on it and hopefully that'll do the trick.

I woke up this morning and i can hear alot more out of my right ear then i did last night but not perfect however my left ear(that was hit) i feel almost completely deaf in it and its not painful. When i talk i can barely hear myself talk let alone it sounding muffled. Have i torn my ear drum?
A torn eardrum is highly unlikely, since that would have caused excessive pain and usually bleeding.
The hearing loss you are describing may be due to your cold/congestion. A healthy eustachian tube drains fluid fom the middle ear to the back of the throat. The eustachian tube often swells and closes during a cold; creating a temporary hearing loss. A visit to an ENT is strongly recommended to diagnose and treat your symptoms. It's important to immediately treat any form of sudden hearing loss. Good Luck!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life