Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hearing Loss Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Hearing Loss in One Ear

My wife has one sided Deaf from her childhood.

She consulted the doctor 6 years back or even more and the doctor told her that it has been since her childhood and cannot be treated.
So i want to ask you that what is the reason behind.

What precautions should i take care so that i protect her other ear.?

Is there any possibility that her other ear can also have hearing loss.?

what are the chances that she wil get deaf by other ear also.
1 Responses
4442496 tn?1397093322
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I recommend your have a follow up visit with an ENT to investigate new advances in treatment of single-sided deafness. BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) has increased popularity and many have experienced huge success from it. An ENT who specializes in BAHA can best determine if your wife is a good candidate for this type of treatment.  
As far as the better ear, it's a good idea to visit an audiologist for an annual hearing test. Precautions for the better ear would be based upon the hearing loss history-- What caused the single-sided deafness?    
Popular Resources
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life