Hearing Loss Community
696 Members

Loudness fluctuates in right ear

Hi everyone,

Two nights ago I rubbed the aperture of my right ear due to some minor itching. While pulling my finger out I sort of popped the ear aperture a bit. Immediately afterward, I noticed that the loudness in that ear seemed to fluctuate. I didn't think anything of it, as the popping was fairly gentle and hardly capable of injuring anything in my ear.

The next morning, I noticed the loudness I perceive in my right ear kept fluctuating. I also noticed that turning my neck in certain ways caused the loudness to drop and things to sound muffled in the affected ear. I should say that I have had some bad neck tension on that side of my neck due to poor sleep position a few nights ago.

The best way I can describe is that it sounds as though something in my ear opens and closes, affecting how loud things sound. Yawning would cause things to sound muffled for about five seconds, after which the loudness in my right ear would start returning to normal. The weird thing is that this would happen in waves where things got louder, more muffled, louder again, more muffled again, and so on until things stabilized.

Clearing out my ear seemed to help but only a bit. I no longer get the loudness oscillations after yawning, but I noticed that whenever someone makes a loud noise, the loudness in my right ear suddenly drops for a a second before returning to normal. This happens consistently whenever I hear a sudden bang.

I should say that things on average sound more muffled in my right ear than on my left. I do not have any ringing in my ears and I am not hypersensitized to noise---although the sudden drop in loudness that I experience due to sudden bangs startles me a bit.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic, but that was largely a waste. I wound up walking out with a prescription for an antibiotic even though there was no evidence for inflammation of any sort.

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some insight on this. It's been two days, if it makes a difference.

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life