Hearing Loss Community
695 Members

Ruptured eardrum for long time

I have a large hole in my eardrum, although I can hear almost well from that ear bur doctor told me it a big hole.
Problem is I have for more than 4 years. I went to doctor becoz it was hurting.
Can it ever be healed since it has been 4 years. or do I need Surgery?
Hi Sunny,

Sorry for the delayed response--I have been on vacation. But I wanted to welcome you to the hearing loss community.

Typically a hole in your eardrum would heal on its own. After four years my guess is that it would not. Have you posted on the ENT forum?

There is a surgery that could repair that. You do not want that area open to the world, and you would hear better with your tympanic membrane (eardrum) intact. Google tympanoplasty to learn about it.

I would visit an ENT if you have not already. Let us know how it goes.

BC
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life