Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

beta blocker that does not cause hair loss?

Is there a beta blocker that does not cause hair loss?

This discussion is related to Verapamil related Hair Loss.
16 Responses
I've been taking Metoprolol (4 years)100mg/day no hair loss here.
1 Comments
I have been on a number of beta blockers over the last 20 years as a migraine preventative.  Metoprolol, Atenolol, Nadolol, Propranolol.  In doses between 10mg and 40mg.  15 years in my hair loss started.  Like so many I thought it age related as I was 55 or so.  But it became too promounced to ignore and so I went off the blockers.  After a 7 month break I slunk back to my Doctor as I had so many headaches and could hardly eat anything that would not trigger a migraine.  I went back on the beta-blockers, this time Nadalol.  A few days following I went to have my annual haircut.  I wear my hair simple and long and only get a trim once a year.  The hairdresser asked if I had been on chemotherapy?  I asked why, as, although my hair had thinned dramtically, I still HAD hair.  She answered that I had little tiny new hairs coming in all over my head.  That confirned for me that beta-blockers were the cause of the hair loss and the 7 month hiatus had spawned this re-growth.  WE ARE NOT ALL CRAZY.  BETA-BLOCKERS CAN CAUSE HAIR LOST.  I am 5 years now on Nadalol and have just gone off them again.  Not only is my hair falling out big time but I have developed dry eye, TMJ, and the skin in the entry to my ear canals is unexplainably dry and itchy, and my nose runs continually.  I must always carry tissues.  I know the nose running and hair loss are beta-blocker as they both disappear when I go off the drug.  The other stuff I only suspect as being, in part, a result.  I am trying various herbs and supplements for migraine prevention (butterbur, feverfew) and high blood pressure (fish oil, ginger, Hawthorn).  I am only about 2 weeks in and need at least three months to get the herbs into the my system to know what works.  I believe, I know, I can solve this outside of beta blockers and other prescription meds.  I do hope this aids others in their search for answers.  We all need to keep sharing and stick together!  
Great! One more thing to worry about. I had no idea beta blockers caused hair loss - I had enough of that after giving birth to my 2 children! I just started taking Metoprolol about 3 months ago and haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm on a pretty low dose - 25mg/day, I hope it stays this way.
Good luck to you.
Metoprolol was the drug that I was on that caused my hair to fall out.  In 2 months on it I was losing my hair rapidly.  I was atenolol before and the same thing happened, but more gradually.  I was off of beta blockers for a year being being put back on metoprolol and during that year my hair quit falling out and thickened back up.
I am so glad to hear you hair thickened back up.  How long were you on metoprolol?  I just put it all together last night.  I have noticed a dramatic loss over the past year.  I can't believe it took me that long to figure it out.  I am going on aldactone and taking prenatal vit...hopefully to help the process of thickening up my hair.
343006 tn?1314450071
Most if not all beta blockers have the known side effect as  Hair loss -thinning hair
pattern baldness - that they say will reverse, once off the meds !  
however if you have to be on blood pressure med, check the side effects first !
as hair loss or thinning hair - may be listed as a side effect .  

I am on verapamil now  - still have thinning hair - there is no history of baldness in my whole family (both sides)  My Doctor tells me , Hey being Bald is in style now!!
I ask is being fat or having a big belly in style too ? as rapid waight gain is another known  side effect of most b.p meds .  so we may end up as  an american bald eagle
with a fat belly !    

hard to imagine such side effects can happen.   next we will grow monkey tails
or talk backwords ..  im still looking for a medication for b.p  that has no side effects !

boogernose
You've got a sense of humor, and you've brought a smile to my face. I've given up on bald or not, thin or fat.

Getting through the day is tough enough after the heart attacks - I can't bring myself to care about the little stuff anymore. Hard enough to cope with the big stuff eh?!

T

Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.