Heart Disease Forum

2 1/2 year old with HDL of 26

My 2 1/2 year old son has an HDL of 26 and slightly elevated triglycerides. This is with a perfect diet and taking fish oil. He gets plenty of exercise and is not overweight. We have checked it twice over a six month period. The second time really just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. He was breastfeed for over two years and my understanding is that even a six month old bf has an average HDL of 55.  His pediatrician isn't worried about it and didn't want to run any additional testing for another year. I ordered through a testing company online and ruled out thyroid problems, anemia, kidney and liver problems as well as diabetes. That is as far as I can get on my own. The pediatrician will check his levels again in a year but from everything I am reading this is probably genetic.? Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?
There is not a lot of research data regarding HDL in very young children and their future risk.  The government does recommend screening children for cholesterol issues at age 2 if one of the parents has a history of heart disease.  However, some studies show that low HDL in young children is more common than previously thought, and that link to future heart disease is not clear.  You're right that this is likely genetic, but there is not much data to suggest that trying to raise the HDL will have any impact on the child's future cardiovascular health.  My best advice is to stay in close contact with your physician and, if you feel more comfortable, visit a pediatric cardiologist who specializes in lipid disorders.  
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.