Heart Disease Community

25 yrs old with LVH!

My systolic has constantly been in the 140's-150's/70's pulse is around lower 60's. I am on two medications for hypertension...losartan 100mg/hctz and sprolactone 25 mg.

I was diagnosed with LVH (1.5 thickness) in 2013 heart echo from my cardiologist. Everything else was normal. I do keep regular appointments but it feels like there only solutions is mess rather than find the cause..(if there is one) it's frustrating.

I'm active, 6'3 not over weight, non smoker otherwise known to be healthy. I did notice I can only hold my breath for 25 secs before gasping...not sure if this can be related to an underlying issue. I've had a kidney renal test, blood tests, urine tests, cardiac enzymes test, stress test (by local doctor did not take blood pressure during it or after it just before it which it was 164/78) I was nervous but it's still high usually. All these come back fine.

Few quick questions...does LVH of my degree elevate systolic Bp? How long can I live with Bp like this if there's not a solution? I'm 24 years old should I take multiple meds or should I ask to switch them around because if the previous meds doesn't normalize it then why take the plus an added pill?

Thank and a reply would be greatly appreciated with some knowledge insight on the subject I will be watching this post. Thanks and God bless
In many cases there is no cause found for elevated or high blood pressure. In fact, essential hypertension (also called primary hypertension or idiopathic hypertension) is the most common type of hypertension, affecting 95% of hypertensive patients.

There are a lot of medicins with different working principles to lower bp.
Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist. It keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic.

There are many different bp lowering medicins with diffent working principles like ACE inhibitors, betablockers, angiotensin receptor blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers.
There are even more medication types that can lower blood pressure. Some of these are alpha blockers, vasodilators, and central alpha agonists.

In my experience sometimes your doctor has to experiment a little to find out what medicin (combi) works best for you. This can be a frustrating and time consuming process especially because every time you change medication, it takes a few weeks to settle in.

No, the LVH does not cause high bp. It probably is caused by the high bp.
Some people have hypertension all their life and never develop heart problems. In your case, as your heart seems to be adapting to the bp it is imo important to lower the bp to get the left ventricle to normal proportions again.

I hope this helps you a little. Please note that there is also a  high blood pressure community on Medhelp