Heart Disease Community

Advice Needed regarding Results

Please could anyone advise me regarding various results I have had.

I am diabetic Type 2. I have been getting various palpitations and chest pain. After having a Myocardial Perfusion scan they noticed some problems with my heart. I have had an angiogram and was told that my arteries were clear and would be "ok for 5 years". The info I have had back is as follows - Nuclear medicine MIBI scan. Blood supply problem to part of heart muscle. Will need angiogram. Start medication.

Cardiac perfusion scan showed some ischemia. The scan showed some elements of left ventricular systolic dysfunction. For this reason started on Ramipril and Carvedilol. (Also taking aspirin and a statin). Arranging for echocardiogram.
Clinical examination was normal.

Results of Echocardiagram - Moderate impairment of LV function with septal and apical akinesis. Abulatory ecg showed a very small number of atrial and ventricular premature beats with 5 short duration complex atrial tachycardia noted longest being 5 beats at 12.23 am.

About 3 weeks before the Echocardiogram I woke up in the middle of the night sweating and had chest pains but I don't think it was anything sinister because it only lasted about 5 - 10 minutes.

I do get a little breathless sometimes and get palpitations and heartpain everyday. The pain can come on during the day but I tend to notice it mostly at night whilst I am resting.

Your help would be really appreciated. thank you.

Hi, was the coronary angiography normal? If this study is normal, then you can be sure that the blood supply to the heart is good and that you don't need any medications. The pain could be due to other causes like GERD, (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach come up into the esophagus. You can try lifestyle measures and see if it helps with the pain. Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAIDs, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!