Heart Disease Forum

Aortic Stenosis

My mother is 62 yoa and in great health other than being diabetic which she has had great success at controling.  Her blood pressure and pulse rate are great however she has just been diagnosed with aortic stenosis (she was tested because she was having rapid heart beat, extremely tired and such)  and will have to go thru with the catherization procedure tommorow and will definately have to have surgery in reference to the aortic stenois.  What are the risks and how dangerous is the heart valve replacement considering her age and health (very good health overall).  Thanx for taking the time to read my question.
The risks should not be too high. Of course, there is a small risk of death, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure etc. with any cardiac surgery. As far as cardiac patients go, she is fairly young. The risks of leaving severe aortic stenosis untreated are much higher than the surgery itself.
I would like to add that the hospital my mother will be a patient at is East Carolina Medical Center.  It is highly respected.  Again thanx.
While I do not know the medical center personally, as long as she has an experienced surgeon, she should be fine.
My father is nearly 90 years old and two years ago was diagnosed with aortic stenosis.  At that time, it was not considered severe and no treatment was recommended.  The same cardiologist diagnosed blocked carotid arteries which were severely clogged and also did not recommend treatment.  Upon second opinion my father underwent surgery on the carotid arteries and came through with no problems and a very good recovery.  Now, however, the aortic stenosis (caused by calcification) has apparently worsened.  Because of his age, despite the fact that he is otherwise healthy (he has also undergone two hip replacements in the last ten years),his cardiologist is still not recommending surgery but has advised taking zaroxolyn and aldactazide.  Would you agree that the risk of surgery in a patient of this age outweighs the benefits; are there less invasive forms of surgery now available or are there other non-surgical treatments available?  Thank you in advance for your response to my inquiry. Deborah. W.
just diagnosed with an aortic stenosis.  surgery is being recommended.  explain what happens with this condition and what the surgeryis or does.
Hi my name is Matthew Hanson and I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis right after I was born.  This was in 1982 Eight days later I had sergery to fix the problem.  And now I'm 17 years old and doing great.  I hope your mother's procedure goes good too.  Oh if its not too late tell the doctors the try their best to flatten the wires on the chest.  That is if it is open heart sergery.  Mine creat a bump on acrost my chest and I bump them all the time.  Its the pits.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.