Heart Disease Forum

Atrial Fibrilation Treatment

On National Public Radio today I heard most of a segment describing a new implantable device called an "atriaverter" for electrically monitoring and regulating contractions of the atria. It was said that this device seems to be very effective.
  I have chronic atrial fibrilation and would like to know more about this new method of treatment.
  Thank you

_
Dear Charles, thank you for your question.  I think you're referring to an automatic, implantable atrial defibrillator.  For many years now, implantable defibrillators (ICDs) have been used to treat patients with refractory ventricular arrhythymias.  ICDs significantly improve survival because they are designed to shock patients out of a fatal ventricular arrhythmia.  The same technology has been applied to atrial fibrillation (AF) which is not a life-threatening disorder, but can be notoriously hard to treat.  Rather than have patients undergo multiple transcutaneous electrical cardioversions, the atrial defibrillator is designed to internally shock the atria into normal sinus rhythm.  So far, these devices are only experimental and are not yet approved for general use.  As far as I know, the preliminary results have been mixed for these devices.    Dr. Mina Chung of our Division of Electrophysiology is the cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic who has the most experience with these devices and her office phone number is 216-444-2290.  For more information, Dr. Chung would be the best resource.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.