Heart Disease Forum

Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Posted By Robert on December 05, 1998 at 17:28:32:

I am a 46 year old male with bicuspid aortic valve disease.  This has been monitored with echo for many years.  I have only moderate stenosis and continue to be active with sports and outdoor activites.  Calcification is worsening, particularly on one side of the valve.  Regurgitation is considered moderate/severe with the regurgitated jet impacting one of the mitral valve leaflets causing it to "balloon".  There is no jet lesion.  Heart size and function are within the normal ranges.  I recently received a TEE for a clearer picture and have been put on an ACE inhibitor though my BP was normal.  I have been told to return for an echo in 6 months.  I am beginning to evaluate surgical options.  With so many recent advances in surgery, I'm trying to optimize timing against the potential for doing long-lasting damage to my heart.  I'm interested in minimally-invasive procedures, and am also interested in advances in tissue valve replacement - lifelong coumadin looks like something to be avoided.  Thanks for your help.  What a great service to the public.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.