Heart Disease Forum

Bigeminy PVCS ?

Hello & thank u very much for this forum & your time.

I am 53 yr old Female with over a 30 yr history of PVCs. (all tests ekgs echos stress thalium & angiograms have been normal) I have used alcohol to medicate myself over the years for this problem. Lately the pvcs worsened slightly, so my cardio changed my meds from 30 mil. diltiazem twice daily to metroporpolo(sp) & magnesium oxide. Well after FIRST dose my heart went into the worse rythm I had ever had over the last 30 years. I ended up in ER (bigimeny) And my heart has continued to do this worsened rythm periodiaclly ever since...
Could the medication have caused this? I was scared to take another dose so cardio put me on Diltiazem ER 120mg. & told me to go home & not worry. I am now using a hand held event monitor. I called in a recording yesterday, & the docs PA called back telling me it showed bigeminy. I can feel when these beats accur ( very frightening). He said to go ER if I got other symptoms such as light headed, pain etc. I have read on this board MANY time that pvcs no matter how frequent are nothing to be concerned about if one has otherwise sturcturally sound heart. Then yesterday I looked up PVCS in the dictionary here on this site. It said "Frequent pvcs have the potentional to cause more serious rythmns and cardiac arrest.  Well that certainly doesnt sound like nothing to worry about to me, in fact it scared the pants off me. So which is it, something not to worry about or something that COULD lead to cardiac arrest?
Also when having these bigeminy which sometimees can last for hours, as many as 8 hrs at a time so far, I have found that drinking beer is the ONLY thing that will make them quit. I have also noticed that when I quit drinking that in about 3 days these bigeminy pvcs get realy bad until I drink again.
It is a vicious circle and i am so very tired of it. Please help explain why the difference between your dictionary definittion of pvcs and what you & my doc have said. Also could the one dose of metropropolo have made my pvcs worse? and What can i do about not being able to quit drinking without having these awlful bouts of pvcs? ( I dont have any other alcohol withdrawal symtoms)

Again, Thank you for your time, and this great site.
hnp,

I must seriously caution you that using alcohol to medicate yourself is more like rationalization of a overt drinking problem.  You should work with your physician or cardiologist to develop a medical regime to try to aleviate your symptoms as much as possible.

Rebound symptoms after drinking can lead to exacerbations of arrythmias. In the setting a strutcurally normal heart , I really wouldnt be concerned for your arrythmias at all, and would work on other agents to try to alleviate your symptoms.

Look back through the previous post and try to see some of the non-medical or alternative ways people have dealt with their symptoms. You might find some tips, others have dealt with them in pretty creative ways.

Again, using alcohol intake as a crutch to alleviate symptoms is heading down a very dangerous road, and I would caution you to seek some help with your symptoms from a physician.

good luck

I suffered off and on through the years with episodes bigimeny pvcs, so i know how misrable they are. Be careful what you read on the net concerning pvcs, this usually applys to persons who have heart attacks or other documented heartdisease.

Beers used to help mine also, alcohol tends to irritate the heart muscle and sometime caused more pvcs. maybe your pvcs are associated with a slow heartrate and are what some may call vagally mediated pvcs , if especially if the metoprolol and magnesium oxide same to worsen them.

Anyhow you can rest assured that even though uncomfortable, nothing bad is likely to happen to you and the attack might soon subside.

Good luck

flip(Lyn)

Even though beers same to help my pvcs, in the long run excessive drinking(more than 2 beers daily ) can have an adverse effect on the heart.
I have given up drinking beer completely and has found that in the long run avoidance of alcohol completely is a plus for anyone who suffers from irregular heartbeats. Also long term use of alcohol in excess can result in alcohol induced cardiomyopathy.

Cheers, and best wishes.

flip(Lyn)
I was walking to work this morning feeling relaxed when i had another of these disconcerting hard heart beats. this one was strong. My heart beat fast directly after it happened but I was able to calm myself down and have had no further symptoms. I still feel scared. I have had weird palps, sometimes daily, now they seem to be weekly, for about 8 months now. I have had a stress test, event monitor and hear 'ultrasound' and have been told that I am fine. But I still get so scared. When it happens my body feels hot for a few moments (probably the blood rushing through with more volume than usual) and i feel convinced that 'this is it' -no matter how sane and unperturbed I feel when I reflect on them between episodes. Sometimes they come in the form of hard heart beats and sometimes odd flutters which can last up to 20 seconds. They freak me out somethin' shockin'. My Dad died when he was 46 of a heart attack. I am 29. I've been told that palps have nothing to do with the heart disease which took him. I wonder if these palps are psychological (I saw him die suddenly and admit that I am scared of it happening to me). Am I vexing myself into a similar fate with fear and my heart is responded by jiggling about when it shouldn't, as though to say, 'don't forget I'm here, and what I can do to you if I don't keep going properly!"

Feeling crazy and scared. thanks to you all for putting up with my rant.

Mike I understand your concerns especially with your father's untimely death of heart disease at such a young age, Must have been very stressful for you and you have a right to be concerned and watch out for yourself, but try not to be too preoccupied with this alone.

It is my understanding that palpitations , flutters and PVCs are rarely a sign of serious heart disease and most persons that die suddenly from a heart attack never had palpitations in their life, that is not to say that palpitations can't be a warning sign, but as a general rule, I understand it rarely is.

flip(Lyn)
Dear Mike
You're not crazy at all, palpitations ARE very scarey, all of us on here know that.  I think we all worry about looking and sounding stupid and one of the great bug bears for me is how so often people with our hideous problem are written off as being "over-anxious", oh!  if only the people who say this could experience a bout of palpitations, how different they would then see things!  
So you're definitely not crazy.
My father had heart disease but I don't ever remember him complaining of palpitations so I would say that your 'condition' and that of your father's are most likely very different.  If you do have any problem and probably you don't, it is most likely to do with the 'wiring', the electrics, of your heart, not heart disease.
A lot of people have palpitations and don't feel them!  What bliss!  My husband, for instance, had an ecg which recorded a lot of pvcs but he couldn't feel one of them, lucky so & so! - and he never has felt them.  I, on the other hand, feel every little thing.  I've always said I wouldn't mind having palpitations at all if I couldn't feel them.  I understand some people have a-fib and don't know!  Seems incredible to me.
Best Wishes, Linda
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.