Heart Disease Forum

Blood pressure

I had a stress test that the doctor stoped because of blunted blood pressure. I think I was around 80% of the test limits. I had a heart three years ago. I've been having some pain when walking in my left arm and my legs have been aching more than they have in the past. I've walked for years and don't think the aching in my legs is muscle related. My last ejection fraction was 30-35%. Please explain what  blunted blood pressure means. Could this cause the arm pain and aching legs when walking? Nitro or rest make the arm pain go away but aching legs stay as long as I'm walking. I walk at least 30 minutes a day and 2 or 3 time a week will walk 1-1&1/2 hours.

Thanks, James
Dear Jim,

I'm not sure what your doctor meant by 'blunted blood pressure'.  Typically blood pressure increase during exercise.  A significant drop (usually >10-15 mmHg) in blood pressure during exercise may indicate severe ischemia (lack of blood flow) and is an indication to stop the test.  The arm pain could be due to ischemia as well.  More than likely your doctor has recommended a heart catheterization to check things out.

The aching in the legs could be due to poor blood flow to the legs due to blockages.  There are tests to check the blood flow in the legs that you can ask your doctor about getting.  If positive you may need to have an angioplasty procedure in the leg to help improve the flow.   In the meantime follow your doctors advice and maintain a low fat diet.  If you are smoking your must stop if you want to get better.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.