Heart Disease Forum

Bradycardia

I am a 70 yr.old man with a history of slow heart rates.  48 at rest, 75 while walking, 80-90 while playing tennis, 108 maximum on last year's stress test, and 30-40 while sleeping.  I have no chest pains, shortage of breath, or blackouts. I am taking medication for high blood pressure (2 years) and cholesterol (3 years).  The results for the two above are good.  I don't smoke, but enjoy two beers daily (during supper and early evening).  To my best knowledge my low heart rate could go back 10 years or so; about the same as above.   I did a great deal of running during the late 70's and a great deal of tennis in the 80' and 90's.  Now I enjoy throwing the javelin daily during Spring through Fall.  My work outs are generally 45 min. to an hour.  Some running for short distances are required during these workouts.   I am scheduled for another stress test later this month; moreover,  I will be taking a MRA next week in the head area.  Am I due for a pacemaker now, or will I need one at some point in the future?  Should I be worried now or should I be concerned in 2-10 years.   Please help!!   Thanks, K.
Unless your slow heart rate are secondary to advanced heart block ( which I assume is not the case because of the length of time it has been present), the indication for a pacemaker will be based on your symptoms: dizziness, lightheadedness, passing out ( syncope), or inability to perform to your usual exercise capacity. If these are not met then you don't need a pacemaker. I can't say you won't need one in the future, so watch out if you develop any of the above mentioned symptoms. Avoid medications such as beta blockers, centrally acting calcium channel blockers or digoxin as these can increase the risk of development of heart block.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.