Heart Disease Community

Changing from Metoprolol xl to cartia (diltiazem)

My EP doctor is changing me from 100mg metoprolol xl to 120mg diltiazem for svt. I have been on metoprolol xl for at least 10 yrs and I am still having episodes of flip flops so we talked about changing medication to see if it helps. He said I could just stop taking the metoprolol and start on the new. Would I not have any withdrawl off the metoprolol xl? Does diltiazem help with anxiety also? Is diltiazem better for svt flip flops?
I am surprised your doctor didn't just add the Calcium Channel Blocker... and maybe reduce the Beta Blocker.  That is the process I've gone through.

My goal is only to reduce my AFib driven high heart rate.

BB and CCB are very different medications, but both tend to lower the workload on the heart.l

I will not argue with your doctor but if it were me I'd ask:  "how about moving to 50 mg (slow release?) Metoprilol and adding the CCB?"